Perhaps an early Italian tin glazed plate in blue

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by norman warbreck, Jan 20, 2020.

1. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

IMG_20200120_162424.jpg Reverse Italian majolica plate Blue feathers.jpg Hi all,
    I was hoping that someone would be able to help me with this mark...i am sure its Italian but who and when i have no idea.
    Many thanks for looking
    norman

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Norman, Could you go back in to your post and Edit.....by clicking on the very TOP image that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE" please? That way we ALL can see them full size without having to click on thumbnails!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

BTW, from the small chips on the plate edges, it looks more like pottery, not tin, and very pretty at that!!!!

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wonder whether @say_it_slowly has thoughts on the marking's era.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Tin GLAZED is a type of glaze like majolica done on ceramic.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm not the pottery expert, but with that bubble glaze on the bottom, is it possible it is Portuguese instead of Italian?

blooey likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks @clutteredcloset49 for the correction/education....had no idea!!!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  8. norman warbreck

Majolica is a term used for this type of ware....but as it travelled to Italy, Netherlands, Europe etc....they used a different type of glaze which they called Tin-glaze so as far as the Europeans were concerned this was a new technique, but in actual fact shards have shown that tin-glaze was used in Turley,middle east as long ago as the 9 / 10 century, also called majolica.

clutteredcloset49 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My parrot question... What does the sticker read? Is it written in fountain pen or ball point? And, to my eye, the design is more Spanish than Italian or Portuguese.

Debora

10. norman warbreck

Real hard to make out...but looks like tfurer...written in old ink. I have done an extensive search but to no avail. I am now more drawn to Spanish as i bought several ancient pieces years ago and should my memory serve me correctly, this was one of them along with two 1640 Italian tin glazed pots.

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try Manises plates and see what you think.

Figtree3, cxgirl, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

Your little sticker might say Talavera.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think Manises a very good suggestion.

Debora

f8bbe33bfa7029a0a4e0f8f0994d6b84.jpg

say_it_slowly likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

18. norman warbreck

Good morning Debora,
    Ha! Ha! Ha! you have it spot on and i must thank you so very much...a great tour through this link.
    The drink is on me for sure...if you are in my area then lunch is of the order...mountains near Davos Switzerland.
    Have a great day
    Norman

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

say_it_slowly likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

Hey it takes a village:D. I didn't have the time to pull info together so hats off to Debora!

I have the book Maiolica Olé (it's in English) that helps with identifying some Spanish and Mexican type pieces like this one. Manises pottery has interested me but I've paid more attention to the reflective Hispano-Moresque pieces though I only have one:). The book El reflejo de Manises (not in English) has some lovely examples of those.

More like this https://www.rm-auctions.com/en/euro...-with-a-bird-valencia-or-manises-spain-17th-c (not mine)
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted