Persian Middle Eastern Copper Serving Tray

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by emma_caroline, Dec 10, 2020.

1. emma_caroline

emma_caroline New Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask for help identifying this piece. I have found many pieces like it ranging from $50 to $5,000 (ebay, Etsy, etc.) but don't want to under or overvalue it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Emma

IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Size? Looks like they didn't clean the pitch off the back side after chasing the design.Not something you would expect on expensive piece.

3. emma_caroline

emma_caroline New Member

It is 23 x 23 inches.

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    The problem with Middle Eastern serving trays is that a great many have been made for the tourist trade over the last 75-100 years, up to the present day, and so many of them are rather common and not worth a great deal; but some are less common, and worth more.
    The inscriptions, even if translated, are of little help, because often the design will be copied from older items, or invented on the spot, so a motif or inscription apparently from an earlier century means little. We've seen quite a few in the forums; I own several, bought by my parents in the Middle East around 1960.
    Often the bigger ones, like yours, came with or can be fitted to a short stand, and used as a coffee table.
    We'll see if anyone has some more information for you.

komokwa and i need help like this.