Peru vs Mexico. Blanket/throw.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Nancy Neal, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

I unearthed this a few weeks ago, Am wondering if it is from Peru, It feels much softer than the ones I have from Mexico, It also is pieced together, and the fringe looks different from the Mexican ones, It is most likely a throw, Measures approx 66 inches by 28 inches, As always thanks for any input perurug.jpg perurub2.jpg peru4.jpg perurub3.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The figure looks more Mexican than Peruvian. What exactly do you mean by "pieced together" - a seam down the middle of the long dimension, or something else?

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you do an internet search for "Aztec head rug" and "Mexico" other examples will come including this one.

Debora

Mexico Rug.jpg

4. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

yes there are 2 seams down the long dimension,

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

So, it was woven in 3 pieces, each about 9-10" wide (if it is 28" wide)? That is very odd.

Can you please post a close-up of the seams so I can see the structure? I can see folds in your photograph, but no obvious seams.

It is not unusual for a Mexican piece to have a close seam down the middle (2 finished edges sewn together with a zig-zag stitch - not overlapping). This was usually done because the fabric was woven on a narrow loom, and stitched together to create a larger piece. A hole could be left at the center of the seam if the textile was to be worn as a serape.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted