Peter Wessel, Scandinavian furniture help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Keith98895, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

Hi everyone,

I just inherited parts of a friend's home estate and I'm trying to get an idea on the value of some furniture. I realize value can vary greatly based on location among other things, but any help you can offer is greatly appreciated as I'm out of my element here. If I had to guess, these are 50's or more likely 60's, and the large dresser has a foil makers mark on the bottom as shown in pic. Last 2 pics are a smaller piece and I haven't checked underneath for a mark yet, or anywhere else that it may be hidden. Not sure if it is also Scandinavian. Webp.net-compress-image.jpg Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg Webp.net-compress-image (2).jpg Webp.net-compress-image (3).jpg Webp.net-compress-image (4).jpg Webp.net-compress-image (5).jpg Webp.net-compress-image (6).jpg Webp.net-compress-image (7).jpg

judy likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

teak-plywood construction, has had a bit of moisture but not enough to make the foil tags fall off, in good shape, maybe @verybrad will be able to add some insight..

scoutshouse, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

Thank you antidiem, he was an avid sailor and had other teak and nautical pieces so that seems to fit. This gives me a great starting point!

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

My parents had Peter Wessel chairs. They moved kind of impulsively in their mid 80s from Los Angeles and I didn't get one stick of their furniture :(

Or even her Cuisinart!

Her pride and joy was an oval Hans Wegner dining set that came from Curt Wagner's hom(e the owner of the all things Danish store in redondo village)

Missing a stool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly, flipper tools no longer works on first dibs solds... Maybe it works for someone else?

From live auctioneers
    Screenshot_20191106-172754_1573090146352.jpg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. antidiem

6. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

Yes, thank you scoutshouse! Those chairs are very cool, you must have been a little bummed over that.

I still haven't found any dressers by that designer but I haven't given up.

7. scoutshouse

Welcome, @Keith98895

Designaddict.com is a great forum for this kind of ID...

Someone posted this ad online, showing that these chairs are designed by Rastad & Relling for Peter Wessel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

I'll have a look at that site. You guys have been very helpful and I appreciate all the info!

scoutshouse, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. scoutshouse

That's really a great forum... Keep us updated! :)

Peter Wessel Zapffe (December 18, 1899 – October 12, 1990) was a Norwegian metaphysician, author, lawyer and mountaineer. He is often noted for his philosophically pessimistic and fatalistic view of human existence...

But I don't think the same Wessel...?

Keith98895 likes this.
  10. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

i think you will find peter wessel was an importer/retailer. i believe rastad&relling worked for/with him

11. scoutshouse

Right, he had a store in Beverly hills. Peter Wessel Ltd. (in the ad above)

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks to be store branded furniture and therefore hard to pin down who actually made it. I am thinking more late 70s-80s than MCM.

13. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

I really appreciate all of your input. @verybrad it's quite possible the piece is 70's since that is when he moved into the new house and would have needed some furnishings. I should have considered that

scoutshouse, antidiem and judy like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. Wessel can be a northern European first (or second) name as well as a surname.
    The surname of Peter Wessel Zapffe was Zapffe, not Wessel.;) Interesting guy though.:)

judy, James Conrad, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  15. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

Update:
    I could find no more information on this piece or the designer, and I never found another dresser by him in my searches.

After viewing in better light I was able to see some minor damage on the top, the worst being two gouges in the top surface maybe 1/16" wide by 1/16" deep, a cluster of small scratches, and three separate discoloration rings or markings from items placed there.

Since the dresser was so large (85") I really had no place to keep it and decided to sell through a furniture consignment shop. It sold for 800.00 about an hour after she placed the tag on it.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

17. Keith98895

Keith98895 Member

Thank you!

Unfortunately it's a 50/50 split with shop owner but I couldn't have done any better through online venues...I did try with zero hits. I'm satisfied overall

18. antidiem

I think you did fine with it. :cat:

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's good to hear of the sale. You did well!

scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. scoutshouse

@Keith98895

Did you make it over to design addict?

Draft saved Draft deleted