Pewter candlestick, old French mark?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Melba, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Melba

Melba New Member

Hello, Antiquers. I have an old pewter candle holder, but the mark is difficult to read. I think I can make out a Fleur de lis in there, so I thought it might be French, and possibly quite old. (I circled the Fleur de lis in one of the pics.) I looked through the marks listed on the forum, they are a great help! I'm not sure I found this one though. I don't know very much about pewter, and would be grateful for any information about this. It measures about 5.5" tall and 4" wide. Good weight to it, also! Thanks very much for the help!

Melba

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

B4871831-D448-4C59-8FA4-E35A7FE00FE1.jpeg Hi Melba, I just didn’t want you to think you are being ignored. I have been looking, but that mark is very difficult to make out.

judy and Melba like this.
  3. Melba

Melba New Member

Thank you, I appreciate your reply! I know it is very difficult to read. I posted on another site and someone suggested the handle had been attached at a later time, that it looked like a mug handle, maybe.

Thanks for looking :)

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It doesn’t have the patina I associate with antique pewter nor is the style familiar to me, nor does the mark look like it was stamped in which it should be if it was old pewter. In my opinion it has too many problems to be authentic early American pewter. Maybe @pewter2 who has experience with English pewter knows more?

judy, Melba and i need help like this.