Pewter Containers (one dated 1725)

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Barn Owl, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I bought these today. The lady who sold me them said that they're meant to go together, but maybe she just wanted me to buy both (I haggled down to ten each, so figured it was an okay bargain). They seem extremely old. One has a mark on the bottom but the hexagonal one does not.

I'll begin by putting the round bottle one in this post. This one has a mark on the bottom and a crest with what looks like HT on the lid.
    20190420_175133.jpg
    20190420_175234-1.jpg 20190420_175248-1.jpg 20190420_175216-1.jpg 20190420_175155-1.jpg

2. Barn Owl

This is the hexagonal one.
    20190420_175032-1.jpg 20190420_175043-1.jpg 20190420_175100-1.jpg 20190420_180721-1.jpg

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like everybody is baffled by these. Or the right person hasn't come along yet.

Does the hexagonal one have a lid that comes off? What does the top look like? I was wondering/speculating whether the engraving relates to a married couple.

kyratango, i need help and Barn Owl like this.
  4. Barn Owl

That's what I was thinking. All the other ones I've found that are similar have only one set of initials and a date, apparently for birth years. But since these initials have the same surname letter, it wouldn't surprise me if they're for a couple.

The hexagonal one's cap twists off. You can see what the top looks like in the last picture.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, duh to me! :)

kyratango and Barn Owl like this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know anything about these, except to offer that screw-top technology didn't exist until the 1850s, if my knowledge of food container history is accurate.

7. Barn Owl

Does that only apply to glass bottles?
    Here are other examples I've found of screw-top pewter containers dating as far back as the 17th centuries: https://www.aaawt.com/html/antique_pewter.html

Here's a similar pewter one to mine (albeit prettier):
    https://anthonysfineart.com/products/17th-century-german-pewter-canister

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  8. Darkwing Manor

Very possibly, and very good point. I am happy to learn that , as it distresses me when dates and technology on a piece don't match up! Sorry for the misinformation!

kyratango likes this.
  9. Barn Owl

No problem at all :) It distresses me, too, lol.

I love your username. It feels very Gothic.

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  10. Darkwing Manor

Thanks, it is! It is the name of our old house , which we used to open as a Halloween charity haunted house, paranormal destination and still holds my collection of mourning and funerary items. https://www.facebook.com/darkwingmanor/

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I do have quite a few books with pewter marks and some info. I seem to acquire books along with little collections I have. I do have some pewter but am far, far from an expert. I will say that pewter can look old rather quickly and has been "faked" quite a bit.

When I get a chance to start pulling some books I'll have a look if no one comes along that actually knows something;)

Figtree3, i need help and Barn Owl like this.
  12. Barn Owl

I didn't pay too much for these, so I won't be heartbroken if they turn out to be newer than I previously thought.

i need help likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Barn Owl, I don't think that says 1725 on the octagonal container.....I don't understand the first figures in that line, but the last two look like 'Z.5'.... EDIT: or maybe just 'Z5', but you might already know that by now.....(the first ones do look like 'jr7), just guessing here....

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  14. Barn Owl

It's the German way of writing 1, I think. Just stylized.

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think you got something here. It looks like a couple and two children ages 7 and 5

Fid, Figtree3, Barn Owl and 2 others like this.
  16. Barn Owl

Good point. Now I must reconsider the date...

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

However, the BOTTOM of that octagonal bottle, is ONE HECKUVA scary screaming woman's face.......to me.....with kind of a bouffant hairdo..... I would say just an aberration of some melting, but still.......YEEEKKK!!:woot:

Z888 20190420_175043-222.jpg

18. Barn Owl

Now I'm going to have nightmares. Thank you. :(

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry remnants...
    the one is a Prismenflasche that was used to transport soup when working in the fields. they are still produced; most with old dates are made in the Historismus era from 1850s to the start of the the 20th c. and were "whipped" to look older.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. Aquitaine

Okay.....then MAYBE she was just holding her mouth open for a dental exam......BETTER????:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::D