Pewter set

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bill Martin Bl, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Bill Martin Bl

Bill Martin Bl New Member

I need some help identifying this pewter set that belonged to my grandparents. He was a Doctor and passed away in 1975. My aunt gave me this set and said it belonged to.her grandparents.

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did you forget to post your photographs, Bill?

Debora

3. Bill Martin Bl

Sorry,
    I am new and having a little trouble getting a post together.
    Thanks,
    Bill

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Or are you getting a message saying your images are too large?? Would this be your first time posting?? If so, this might be of help to you........You might want to copy and save for a while if you think you'll be posting more images!!

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" Looking forward to see your pewter set!!:happy::happy:

5. Bill Martin Bl

6. Bill Martin Bl

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not to worry, Bill. New members often have trouble with their first few posts.

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not an antique yet. Continental was started about 1930.

upload_2023-8-24_19-43-7.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hey, Bill... I've taken the liberty of reposting your photographs as Full Image. You'll want to make sure you do that in the future when you Upload a File because they're easier for everyone to see.

Debora

Any Jewelry and Bill Martin Bl like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And those two pieces aren't part of a true set (although they might have been used together.) The designs are quite different.

Debora

12. Bill Martin Bl

Screenshot_20230824_221834_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230824_221805_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230824_221911_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824_221805_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824_221805_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230824_221911_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230824_221834_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230824_221834_Gallery.jpg
    Thanks Debora,
    I really appreciate your assistance. I am sure I will get better at this as time goes on.
    Bill
    Bill

Attached Files:

Debora likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm finding company dates of 1920 - 1950 on the internet. The three digits below the trademark are pattern numbers.

Debora

Bill Martin Bl likes this.
  14. Bill Martin Bl

Thanks,
    I have had trouble finding any information about this company. What reference site did you use?
    Thanks,
    Bill

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm confused about the generations. The pieces belonged to your grandparents (your aunt's parents) or to your aunt's grandparents (your great grandparents)?

Bill Martin Bl and komokwa like this.
  16. Bill Martin Bl

Good question, I wonder about that also. Here is the story. We live in Indiana but my 92 year old Aunt (my mother's actual sister) lives in the mountains in Cascade, Colorado. My son and his family live in Colorado Springs so we get to Colorado 2 or 3 times per year. I also run our family Facebook page. I use a lot of family history and heirloom pictures that I think would interest the group. Knowing her health was failing my aunt mailed this entire set to me. She said that she remembered this set as being at her childhood home and thought it came from her grandparents. Her grandfather was an actual circuit riding (on horseback until he bought a car) minister in the late 1880's and may have owned it. Her grandfather became a Methodist Bishop. He died in 1938 and his wife died in 1962 (I had actually met her). My aunt passed away in May of this year (she was the last of her generation) so I can't verify if it was my grandparents or my great-grandparent's set. My aunt always told me.it was probably a civil war Era Tea set but the markings show it was made sometime around 1950. So it was probably my grandparent's set. Granddad was a Doctor and made house calls after he got his medical license. There is a possibility that one of his patients paid.him for a house call by giving him this pewter tea set. It really doesn't fit in with my grandparents taste in housewares. Another historical fact is that granddad was a state side doctor in WW1. I hope that helped clear this up but the who, what, when and where aill remains a mystery to me.

Bronwen likes this.