Pewter touch/ stamp help! Lion Rampant, Crowned Rose

Discussion in 'Silver' started by chra2263, Oct 16, 2019.

1. chra2263

chra2263 New Member

I need some help identifying a pewter dish that was handed down to me. The lion rampant appears to most closely resemble the makers mark of the town of Greiffenberg, Germany. A the date or catalog number of 1710 is listed above the lion, with the letters P.K at the bottom of the lion.

The second mark appears to be a flower or rose of some kind and crowned with a three-pronged crown.

That's about all I know and would love to find more information out about this!

Thank you all!

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, chra! I believe your "dish" (although in that shape I would expect it to be a platter) is not German, but English. First, a crowned rose without any letters on either the crown or the flower is English according to the archived Pewter Tankards and Flagons site. (See this page on the subject.) https://web.archive.org/web/2010112...agons.com/index.php?p=1_19_Crowned-Rose-marks

Secondly the lion mark you show cannot be a maker's mark for every pewterer in a town. That lion may be on the city's flag and crest, but it will not be the only mark used by pewterers there. Where did you find a maker's mark for Grieffenberg, Germany?

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. chra2263

chra2263 New Member

Thanks for the response! Here is the link I used to help possibly identify the lion rampant:
    https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_b1884_3.html

The Grieffenberg hallmark, you'll see if you follow that link, is the closest match I've been able to come by so far. Any ideas of when this platter might have been made and by whom? I know there isn't a whole lot to go off of, unfortunately.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

20th C British repro of a Tudor platter.

6. Bakersgma

That's a Griffin and not a lion - and that is the city mark used as part of the silver assay mark - not a maker's mark. Has nothing to do with pewter touchmarks as far as I can tell.

I have looked on the pewter site I linked above for any clues to makers in Grieffenberg, but found none or any other "German" location using the touch that's on your platter. I also looked for it in the pewterbank site (a good location for English touchmarks) and did not find it there either.

Not sure where else to go looking. BTW - the 1710 date should be the year the pewterer was established, not a catalog number.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Thank you, Owned!!

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted