Photographing Glass Items to Best Advantage

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, May 29, 2014.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have some glass items (some suspected ABP, some definitely not) that I have been wanting to learn more about for a long time. Not being a seller, I have never has the need to set up a "photo booth" or light tent because I just don't have appropriate space in my little house. Give me a silver item to take pictures of, no problem. But glass stumps me.

I'm hoping that those of you who have experience can give me some pointers about low-tech ways to photograph glass items to give a reasonable view of shapes, "cutting" in its various forms, etc. so I can post some here for ID.

And you may well ask why I never asked on PGP. I'm afraid to say that I was too intimidated by the place. :shame:

tyeldom3 and FunkeysFinds like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Take a look at Camerajims site, I got some great tips for photographing coins, he does all subjects.

This is Glass & Crystal.
    http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjgglassware.htm

This is the Home page.
    http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/index.htm

tyeldom3 and FunkeysFinds like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Thank you very much, Davey! :)

That link is a keeper.

4. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Thank you for asking about this Bakersgma and for posting the links, Dave. I too was going to ask about this today. If I was going to push myself to list more PGP items, I had to take better pictures of them. I've spent the last two hours playing around with lamps (I almost said lambs), backdrops and taking pics in different manners. I'm excited to check these links out.

(I was wondering if we could have a Helpful Tips Area or something like that for things like this and cleaning pottery and glass - the tips, shipping quote info, - maybe all that who-ha can all go together in one area?).

Cory

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

As for lighting I use daylight replicating blue light bulbs in an unshaded lamp.,they can be bought on ebay, Hobbiest or Knitters daylight bulbs.

6. Bakersgma

I've added those bulbs to my list!

7. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Are those the full spectrum lights?

8. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Good info there, thanks for posting bakersgma!:shame:
    I wish camera Jim would teach me how to use my camera.;) It's too hard for me to figure it out. I've had it 2 years now, and still can't figure the dern thing out.

9. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Well, so okay I photograph a lot of glass. A lot of folks like to use the outdoors, but dealing in ABP I had to learn to take technical vs beautiful backgrounds. I think one of the biggest tip that I can give you when you are doing clear glass is when you are tweaking it with your built-in photo editor on your computer is to adjust more on the contrast and saturation should be almost to none (close to a black and white photo)

Here's some examples:

clifton punchbowl.jpg
    This is with a light box that lights from the bottom. You can tell that I made the contrast high with no saturation.

IMGP6878.JPG
    This is simply a black cloth with a light from above. Tweaked the saturation so the colors would be more vibrant.

IMGP1682.JPG
    Here I used just the lights from the bottom with no over head lighting.

I think if you just keep experimenting you'll find what works for you.

Denise and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Those are beautiful, EZ - both the pics and the glass! Thanks for sharing them and for the technical tips.

11. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Your welcome! I hope I helped.

12. Bakersgma

Well I'm not going to be able to put a light box together, but the editing tweaks will be very useful. ;)

13. FunkeysFinds

Great examples, thank you EZ!

14. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Thanks for the info EZ.

15. FunkeysFinds

Hello all -

I may have overlooked it when going through the link that Dave provided; one of my biggest challenges with taking photos is with dinnerware and/or pottery, I often get a camera glare and reflection, often around the edges - it seems the glare likes to lurk there.

Any special tips for dinnerware/teapots/vases, etc.?

Thank you,

Cory

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Those are gorgeous photos.

17. My light box is home made. I took an 18x18x18 box (home depot I think) Taped up one end, then put it on it's side and cut ou t most of three sides. Using the open end as the entrance, and the open sides as the top and two side, I have my lights clipped one on each side and one on the front.

18. Denise

Denise New Member

19. FunkeysFinds

Denise - thank you very much. This will prove hugely helpful!

20. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

I sooooooo want to be as organized as Michael Coffee. And to take photos as beautiful as he does. Thanks for the link, it gives me something to aspire to!

Attached Files:

FunkeysFinds likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted