Piano music books - never used - from a teachers personal catalog/inventory

Discussion in 'Give Aways' started by Bookahtoo, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I ended up with these several weeks ago - don't ask - it's paper, so of course I took it.

Anyway, I have several hundred piano music books dating from the late 1800s to the 1920s. Most of them are from one publisher - B.F. Woods. Each was kept in a separate file folder with the publishers number, the composer, and title of the book on the cover, so when the teacher needed a new book for a pupil, they could go through their catalog/inventory of books, choose they one they wanted, and order it. They are all classical, and range from basic books for beginners to books for advanced players. I am in the process of entering them into a speadsheet, but am only up to number 65 or something.

So - anyone want some piano music? Bach? Schumann? Chopin? Czerny? Anything? You can have as many as you want. Just ask me for a name, and I'll see what I have by them, and post some pictures. There are also some duet books, and violin books.

Of course I had fun with them for a while, sorting them, etc. BUT - I just have too much crap in my TV room and kitchen, and if I move them downstairs or upstairs I'll never get to them.

Anyone play piano or know someone who does, or know a teacher who needs books?

BTW, I've tried to find a list of B. F. Woods catalog of music online but have been unsuccessful. Any Ideas?

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, the company name appears to be B. F. Wood Music Company... note Wood, not Woods...

I haven't found much except that they were incorporated in the state of Maine in 1893 and their current status is "Excused." Whatever that means?

https://icrs.informe.org/nei-sos-icrs/ICRS?CorpSumm=18930009 D

I can look a bit more to see if there is any catalog, but sounds like you have looked quite a bit. I would suggest contacting a large music library at a university, but most of them are closed due to coronavirus situtation. Many do still provide help online, but many of the librarians are working from home so it would depend what kinds of sources they could find.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Thanks fig. I am trying to avoid filling up the spreadsheet, but frankly, it's probably just easier and quicker to do that, much as I don't want to.
    I'm perfectly happy to give these away. I'm also happy to sell them on ebay, but I don't know if it's worth my time.

Figtree3, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Not me - I still have a ton of piano music in the basement that belonged to my Mom, and I haven't been able to do anything with it; some is popular stuff, with cute graphics; or classical stuff she started to play when she was 4....and my own old violin music.
    I hate to even think about it.
    :arghh:

anundverkaufen likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

How about some NEW violin music? Do you still play? :)

6. Bookahtoo

I also found a mandolin book from 1897 - never used.
    I'm about 1/3 of the way putting them into the spread sheet - up to 174 books now. Argggghhh! Why do I do this?

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my wife has a modest guitar and a $3500 Yamaha electric piano.....
    and hasn't played either since................ Krakatoa erupted !!!!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes; but I do more mandolin and octave mando these days; as a duo with my wife on autoharp we find that the blend is better that way, allows for more ensemble playing rather than having the sustain on the violin and 'harp compete for the same space.
    With some bands in recent years I was pretty evenly divided between violin and mandolin...
    This one isn't on youtube, but the link is safe; with "Civil Servants," playing a Nancy Griffith/James Hooker song:
    http://civilservants.homestead.com/files/08_-_Golf_Coast_Highway.mp3
    titled.jpg Apologies for the thread hijacking....

bluumz, anundverkaufen and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Thanks allfakes - that was beautiful. But it made me want to cry.......

all_fakes likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Playing it now. She has a beautiful voice. :)

all_fakes likes this.
  11. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful song, and your version is impressive. Thank you.

all_fakes likes this.
  12. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Did you find anyone to take the piano music? Both of my children play piano

13. Bookahtoo

I gave most of it to someone in DH's choir group but I still have 2 big boxes.
    I can take some photos today of what I have.
    Is there anything you are interested in particularly?

14. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Let me ask my daughter and get back to you she's the one who plays more my son now mainly uses the piano to write melodies for his heavy metal band so would probably be less interested in playing classical music anymore :)

15. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

She'll be a college junior in the fall and has taken on students in the past. She'd probably be most interested in the classical. What do you have left? If your spreadsheet is up to date that might be easiest.

16. Bookahtoo

I gave away all of the stuff in the spreadsheet. I still have 2 boxes full. I'll send you some photos this evening.

ElleNVee likes this.
  17. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

18. Bookahtoo

ElleNVee - I apologize - I looked all over my store today to take photos and I couldn't find the boxes.
    I'm going to throw DH under the bus and say that when he brought the rest of the music to his friend in the choir he probably brought the two boxes I meant to keep as well.
    I am sorry. :(

19. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Oh darn. Well thanks for checking.

20. Bookahtoo

You're welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted