Piano Scarf

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by elarnia, Jun 30, 2014.

1. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

First - Thanks for a Textiles Category!

I have this, which I have always called a piano scarf, that I am thinking of selling. I see similar items sold for $50 to over $800 - what are the differences I should look for to figure out where this falls in value? Any tips on how I describe it? (I know I need better pictures:angelic:) The background is a slightly peachy cream, the fringe is intact, and the colors are very vibrant. TIA
    scarf 1.jpg

scarf 2.jpg

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Lovely scarf!
    I can't help you but so glad we have this new category!
    "-)

elarnia likes this.
  3. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Chinese or (originally) Filipino manton, 1920s, hand embroidered in silk on silk satin or sometimes crepe or charmeuse. This is what flamenco dancers wear, and it's why they were made in the Philippines (those islands being a Spanish possession for a long time). Besides condition (shattering/staining/pulled threads/lost fringe), fringe, color variety, and detail are a good way to determine age and value. They're still being made, and sell new in the $100-500 range.

The best you can do to estimate a selling price on yours is to search completed auctions for pieces that are comparable in the factors I mentioned. Yours has a great fringe, the fabric looks solid, the colors are varied and the design complex - but I see bleeding of the pink, which is all but impossible to remove. And cleaning these....not a lot of drycleaners will take them on.

elarnia likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

That's gorgeous!

elarnia likes this.
  5. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Thank you - you really are awesome:happy: - you even answer the question I didn't ask but should have.

Draft saved Draft deleted