Featured Picasso Influenced Very Large Jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jun 14, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

When I do a reverse image search on this, the results constantly return jugs by Picasso. I know that this is not by him but it is clearly signed and I wondered if anybody here recognised the style or the mark. I bought it at auction today where it was listed as by Fishley Holland (the mark does look like HF but I can't see that Fishley Holland produced anything like this at all and it is not their style or mark).

It could be continental or American even. The head does have the slight look of a native American chief.

Any ideas welcome as always

John IMG_3796.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3807.JPG

judy, Bronwen and Ce BCA like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's categorically not Fishley Holland, totally wrong style, clay and mark. That looks more like a trident. I'll have a look in BSPM, suggest trying the British Studio Mystery pots group on FAcebook.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. John Brassey

Thanks. Totally agree.Looks nothing like any of their work.

4. Ownedbybear

I've had a scan through BSPM, can't see an immediate match.

5. John Brassey

No. Same here.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

There was a Spanish pottery which did some Picasso influenced stuff, although this isn't quite like.

Bronwen and John Brassey like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My gestalt of it is that it evokes a jungle & the figure is meant to be African, despite the headdress-looking surround to the head, which looks ringed with (leopard?) claws.

Pat Dennis and John Brassey like this.
  8. John Brassey

Very logical.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You sure know how to flatter a girl. Actually, I was a whiz in college at formal logic. Where did that girl go? :confused:

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

She took one look at this bunch and ran for the hills! I think my sanity left a trail up that way about 40 years ago. Never went looking...

As for the jug, not a clue. It's so far out of my realm of expertise that I don't even know which continent it came from!

Pat Dennis, Bronwen and John Brassey like this.
  11. John Brassey

64B2FE2E-8001-46C6-AE55-04B597D0A7B6.png 692C7563-1B5F-4119-8612-DD610A919CA7.png After a lot of puzzling I studied the mark carefully and, looking at the incisions, think that the potter held the jug upside down as he or she added the mark. HJ is a possibility. There was a Dutch abstract potter Hans De Jong with a similar mark. Here are mine and an example of his.
    Similar but not the same but signatures can develop over time.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted