Featured Picasso? or another fake? Interesting Canvas Segment!

Discussion in 'Art' started by chrisisadude, Dec 14, 2022.

1. chrisisadude

chrisisadude New Member

[​IMG]

Hello!

I saw this at auction and it had me thinking: is this real? Would be fun to have on the wall!

I have been looking into his signatures, but due to the thick marker, it is really hard to decipher whether this could be authentic or not. The only information I have is this photo - no date or provenance was given.

Thank you so much!

Figtree3, IvaPan and judy like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Antiquers!
    It's not a marker used, but appears to be black paint.
    The blue appears to be a cray-pas or other oil based crayon.
    What is the size of this piece? Please show us the back.

It appears to be painted right on to cotton duck fabric with darker brown flecks in it, but I cannot see it closely enough to tell? Does it have a white painted gesso background, or is it just plain fabric? If I remember correctly, Picasso was a "spare no paint" artist, always used plenty of paint!

Definitely appears to have been cut from a frame. I'm not sure why it was not photographed FLAT but a bit rumpled, as it appears to be somewhat small from the look of the weave of the canvas. This would have been easy to flatten out for a better photograph. I believe this rumple was done (marketing) to add dramatic appeal to the look of the piece, as though somehow it just couldn't be transported flat from the heist to the public auction flawlessly... :rolleyes:

I would doubt this to be an actual Picasso. Please wait to hear what others may say.

judy, Figtree3, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

it seems to lack the form of even his weirdest siggys...

judy, Any Jewelry and IvaPan like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Here is one of his feedback on eBay
    "This is total crap painted at a Kitchen table. Why no returns, because he is selling under the deceit that it is an original........yes an original total con by a dredge of Society, Please stay clear of this guy"
    PABLO PICASSO ORIGINAL OIL ON CANVAS (#134216694054)

lloyd249, judy, Any Jewelry and 12 others like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The counterfeit Keith Haring's at the bottom of the page are better.My student copy of a Cezanne is sublime ($22 thrift score). I'd imagine there are some very fine cheaper studies on Ebay-keep looking/enjoying,this one stinks.

IvaPan, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From the link @laura9797 posted, what OP posted IS the IDENTICAL image.... exact cuts on the edges and everything......I wouldn't TOUCH IT!!!

IvaPan, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:bucktooth:Do people REALLY believe they can get an ORIGINAL Picasso painting for 1000$ (with a make an offer option)???:hilarious::hilarious:

8. bosko69

Yes they do-but if I really wanted it,I'd throw in a few pieces of Hummel to sweeten the deal.

kyratango, IvaPan, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. antidiem

I could raise you by the one MIOJ figurine I didn't throw away! :D

Indeed they are. And for $6k, one can get a COA with that! :smuggrin:

IvaPan, judy and komokwa like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not a Picasso, but an original Tinso!:jawdrop::happy: Or so the siggy says....;)

Some Picasso signatures, although it gets as weird as Pichi and Bimiv, there is no Tinso:

[​IMG]

lloyd249, kyratango, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  11. bosko69

I'd think some of these blatantly phony listings might be flagged by Ebay.Now we'll have to see what Trump's digital trading cards start going for,along with the Crypto Vermeer's.

12. antidiem

Indeed it is! And NONE of us caught it! :hilarious::hilarious: Thanks, AJ! :smuggrin::smuggrin:

lloyd249 and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted