Picasso Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Sep 16, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

The plate size is about 17 3/4" x 23", no visible signature or printer/publisher text. It is after his 1932 painting "buste, coupe et palette".
    I am assuming it is an offset litho/poster type of print. So I guess no need to take it out of the frame?
    By the way, did Picasso make prints after his original works or the only authorized ones were done after his death for the Estate collection?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Looks like a quality print. Could be wise to view unframed.

There were authorized reproductions of Picasso paintings made during his lifetime...some hand-signed by him.

3. kardinalisimo

Interesting to know that. By authorized reproductions you mean offset or stone lithographs. I mean like, was Picasso invlolved in the process of creating the repros or he just had to approve them?
    I guess I will have to take it out of the frame but any idea who were the printers/publishers who were authorized to do that?

While I was researching I found that most of the original Picasso works were unsigned. He did that on purpose and would sign pieces only at the point of sale to prevent theft. If an unsigned work would be found out of his property that would mean that it was stolen. Seems like he did not bother a lot to sign his original prints either.
    Unfortunately, nowadays, everyone asks ' is it signed?'.

4. kardinalisimo

Took it out. By Penn Prints NY. Don't know who they were but sounds like just an ordinary reproduction.

5. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Yes, Penn Prints was a c.1960s New York publisher of better quality reproductions.

Draft saved Draft deleted