Featured Picasso real or fake

Discussion in 'Art' started by abdel, Sep 16, 2018.

1. abdel

abdel Well-Known Member

Hi to everybody, My friend bought this And he need help if its a real or fake drawing.
    Any comments please.
    Abdel,
    0_IMG-20180915-WA0002.jpg 0_IMG-20180915-WA0005.jpg 0_IMG-20180915-WA0006.jpg 0_IMG-20180915-WA0007.jpg 0_IMG-20180915-WA0019.jpg

Pat P, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

What size is the piece? Is it paper?

Has a lot of moisture damage.

judy, scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My earliest introduction to Picasso was looking through some art book with my father (probably in the mid to late 1960s). When we arrived at the pages with Picasso, my father started sputtering in disgust. When I asked why he didn't like Picasso, he replied, "If you meet the man for a cup of coffee, at some point he will ask to borrow a napkin and then he will scribble on the napkin -- and then he will try to sell it back to you for $750!"

My dad did not travel in art circles and I don't know where the story came from, but Picasso did do a lot of scribbles.

How many pieces of paper are we looking at? By my count it has three sides.

Unless these prove to be known copies/fakes, I would not be accepting of an online evaluation of a piece(s) like this.

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

There was a limited edition book with 24 lithographs, "Picasso de 1916 to 1961:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/50766084_cocteau-picasso-de-1916-1961-ditions-du-rocher

The page you show with the writing (translated from French) is "Inside page of the prospectus announcing the publication of Picasso from 1916 to 1961, at Éditions du Rocher (1962)."

https://cocteau.biu-montpellier.fr/index.php?id=84

The image of the woman, PORTRAIT OF FRANçOISE (not one of the 24 illustrations in the book), for comparison:

https://www.pablo-ruiz-picasso.net/work-210.php

You could seek out a local art expert to have them evaluated for your own satisfaction.

Figtree3, Pat P, i need help and 7 others like this.
  5. Jivvy

The first piece is "Portrait of Francoise" -- I would

(reload page)

Sniped by @sabre123!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That first piece listed by @sabre123 went for $4200.!!

7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looking at the edges it appears to be thicker than paper. Maybe some type of cardboard material/board? Where did your friend find it? It appears it wasn't stored properly as there is some condition issues. To tell if it's real or not it's hard to say as there are a lot of fakes out there. Might want to contact a museum to give you more info

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Also looking at the one on live auctioneers and yours there is a different style of work. To me it's a red flag.

9. Jivvy

10. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Picasso is known to have made Intaglio Prints (incised on copper, steel or zinc plates), I would have it checked out by a museum curator who could date the process, materials and authenticate.

11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

12. abdel

abdel Well-Known Member

Sorry i don't have other pictures, i will share other informations as i can. Thanks to all.
    Abdel,

Slykitty65, scoutshouse and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted