Pick the most valuable jewllery from the lots

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I wonder if any of the below items would rase any interest. They were ll sold in auction and I did not understand why these lots out of 500 reached the highest price (around £200 per lot), the only description " Mixed jewllery ", one or two had mentioned silver.
    The recommended books on jewllery from US never arrived, and so, I am relaying on Google search and this site for gaining knowledge.
    I will also like to comment on the items.
    Picture 1, I have a feeling that the yellow gold colour earrings were the most valuable even though they are broken. I personally like the Cameo.
    Picture 2 Maybe that half moon with fleur de lis, maybe because I like it a bit.
    Picture 3 The silver long drop earrings look unusual. I like the amethyst neklace.
    Picture 4 I think the central pice with red and green stone may be something.

I have asked about these lots the auction before the auction day , no other details were given than mixed jewllery. I did not buy any of these lots.

What do you think?
    @Any Jewelry @Bronwen @KSW @komokwa
    Thank you
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Screenshot_20210323-132159_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210323-132230_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210323-132309_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210323-132344_Chrome.jpg

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I will take an uneducated guess and say the large filigree silver brooch.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're confident all the diamonds are paste?

Debora

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm guessing some people may have thought there may be some gold items? The fob spinner with ?jade? cabochons is a candidate. The earrings as you mention. The Art Nouveau enamel brooch if it's real and silver would be worth money. The figural ring if it's gold.

If you know the auctioneer personally you can call them and chat, they will give more details to regulars informally than they will put in a catalogue. This may have put some bidders in a stronger position.

Sometimes it's just two randoms fighting over something they like the look of.

Bronwen, bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Lockdown mania to some degree.

I'm not seeing anything in that first lot that warrants £200, the paste brooches look fairly common and earrings pinchbeck.

Lot 2 has what might be a gold ring and a gold fob. That enamel brooch is interesting, it might be Knox. Coral elephant with gold howdah is decent, too. clock and watch keys can sell well.

Lot three has a cracking Blue John necklace. The rest is so so and that's retail for the necklace, but it's really nice. Xerox pin may be gold, so it would scrap.

Lot 4 - I'm seeing fifty quid total.

6. Simona Buhus

Yes, I fought for the Blue John neklace , advertised as amethyst , but when they reach £60, I stoped.
    It may be that some people had inside info, but I doubt it, because they are very stringent here in the UK. I think someone like me liked the necklace and was willing to pay whatever it takes. Also some people might think that is real gold, that is why they paid so much.
    I am happy I followed my instincts.
    What do you think about the earrings in picture 3, drop ones, next to the Blue John.
    Have not seen this design before.
    One very valid point I take away from the comments is that the coral is in high demand, and caries value, so I should look at purchasing few coral items.
    Thank you to all, nice comments.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

A good Blue John necklace like that is certainly three figures. It looks silver to me. Those earrings look, oh, Afghan or something - @Any Jewelry ?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

How do you mean? There is nothing wrong with calling the auctioneer and asking for their opinion, I do it all the time if I can't see a piece in person. Say for example they have a ring listed as yellow metal because it's unmarked, if I'm interested and know the auctioneer I'll call and ask if they think it's gold, sometimes they will even give a carat estimation (and/or test it). They won't write this down in a catalogue or report but if they know you they will happily spill the beans - they want to sell the item for the best price. This won't work by asking for a condition report, you need to know the auctioneer/valuer personally.

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The lot with the blue John necklace would have taken my fancy. Would match my Blue John ring!. Not surprising that made good money.
    Post is still dire from the USA Simona, I’m waiting on a necklace posted on 5th February. I trust it will arrive eventually as a lot of post was delayed with the snow and I believe parcels were shifted literally anywhere just to move them as they had so many backed up. Your books will turn up eventually!.

10. Simona Buhus

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try building some relationships now that you mentioned. It's worth trying at least, I would be very happy to have information other than the condition report.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I posted something to Oklahoma City on the 8th. It left the UK 9th, then scanned at Chicago on the 12th. Where it sat and sat and sat and sat. It finally left Chicago on the 21st and has supposedly been delivered today.

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see a lot that I wouldn't want more info on......but the 4th pic....those pendants.........& maybe the bracelet....there's stuff goin on there......

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

1. Horseshoe stickpin may be gold & diamonds.
    2. Virgin Mary ring may be gold. Spinner fob seal has held its color well, so chance of gold. Maybe someone had the inside scoop on that gizmo in the center.
    3. The cufflinks look good quality. Consensus here is that the necklace is highly desirable, so I'll put that in too.
    4. Totally mystifies me. Maybe that extremely long belcher chain? The stone in the locket?

14. Ownedbybear

I've had very similar horseshoe stickpins which were brass and glass and it looks more that to me. Agree on the Virgin Mary and that fob.

Yes, 4 is a puzzler.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I know just enough about jewelry to get me in trouble but the things that caught my eye were the gold earrings in #1, the watch fobs in #2, the cufflinks? with the center stone in #3, the large brooch? with the green stone in #3 & the bracelet in #4.

I do have a couple of questions though. What are the 5 things that look like they are keys? Is the elephant in #2 anything?

Also, I tried to find something about the jeweler? for the Virgin Mary ring but all I found out was the Arcade Royale was opened in 1912.

Any thoughts on my picks are welcome to help me learn. :happy::happy:

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Watch keys that were worn as fobs.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've heard them called watch winders, from the days when pocket watches were wound with a key. The two often get separated. If someone had the watch and needed the matching key and it was in that lot .... bingo. Up she goes. I wonder if that carved red coral elephant with the howdah was part of the equation; I know some coral addicts. (Right, @Any Jewelry ? )

My grandmother had a bracelet made like the one in #4. It's currently in my sister's safe deposit box, but as I recall it was gold-filled. Unless it's in front of you and open it would be a good candidate to be thought to be gold.

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4th pic...bottom right....is no one else seeing fine cut amethysts...?
    or wondering about the 2 tone locket top left..?

Bronwen likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The "amethysts" look like glass from here. The two-tone locket looks like most its "tone" has worn off.

Bronwen, Simona Buhus and komokwa like this.
  20. Simona Buhus

The keys were watch keys, and the orange elephant may be coral.

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted