Featured Picked up a cool Bali carving

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Kevin Meade, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Kevin Meade

Kevin Meade Well-Known Member

Hi Folks.

Picked this cool piece up a couple days ago. Polychrome Lord Vishnu on his Garuda. The Garuda has a snake like creature pinned to the ground. It measures at 26" tall. The wings and tail of the Garuda are removeable. Just wanted to show it off. Very happy to have it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find !!!

Christmasjoy, Kevin Meade and judy like this.
  3. Kevin Meade

Thank you!
    I was pretty stoked to get it.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

Wow that’s amazing. Great find.

judy, Kevin Meade and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Kevin. The emerald green Garuda is the most classic, according to Hindu scriptures.

And that is a rather jolly looking Vishnu.
    Unlike classic Indian Vishnus, which are rather dark, this one is white, for purity.
    In his left hand he holds the Sudarshana Chakra, Cakra in Indonesian, the "disc of auspicious vision".
    According to Hindu mythology, the Sudarshana Chakra was originally a wheel from the chariot of Surya, the sun God. It was turned into a weapon to fight evil, and it carries part of the sun's energy. The classic light versus darkness.

There is a slightly personal connection with the cakra for me. My Indonesian ancestors were called Cakraningrat (old spelling Tjakraningrat), the kings or rulers of the Cakra. They were perceived as being responsible for restoring cosmic order in the world. A very tall order.;) But because of that they were often called upon to settle disputes between other kings.
    That is Naga. In Indonesia Naga is a cross between the classic Hindu Naga, a king cobra, and the East Asian dragon.
    There are different explanations for this configuration. This is the prevailing one:
    Naga was sometimes asked by the Gods to challenge Garuda or others, to test them. This position means that Garuda has overcome his challenges. He stands strong in his spiritual power.
    The Naga is also white, just like Vishnu.
    The scrolls at the base are clouds. After all, these are heavenly beings.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    i need help, judy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  6. Kevin Meade

Thank you AJ for the detailed description of the carving. So it was basically a sparring match to keep them sharp and ready for battle. Would this be a recent carving?

judy and aaroncab like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

A spiritual battle mostly. In Javanese Hindu mythology, which Balinese Hindu mythology is based on, there is more endless talking than actual fighting.;)
    Not very recent, but post 1950s. My guess is 1970s-80s.

Kevin Meade, judy and aaroncab like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

AND it was used by Xena, Warrior Princess:
    [​IMG]

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :shame:

Jivvy, Kevin Meade and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. smcrae

smcrae Active Member

that's pretty cool!

Kevin Meade and i need help like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious:

Sorry, a cheap knock-off.:playful: The real Sudarshana Chakra 108 serrated edges.:pompous:

Kevin Meade and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted