Picked up for £5 western Germany clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vicky McFadden, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It certainly was a bargain, 5 pounds!:jawdrop: Is it in working order?

2. The guy said has a pendulum but no weights. As I say I don't know much about clocks but sounds easy new weights

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You probably need to know what kind of weights for this particular movement, but as I don't know about clocks either, I will tag @afantiques .:)

komokwa and Vicky McFadden like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think AF may want pictures of the movement.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like what was called a Moon and Star clock. Meant to show night and day.
    West German dates it to late 40s to early 80s. I'm thinking the later end. Think Moon and Star clocks and watches were popular in the 1970s. (I'm not positive though)

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The term is usually 'moon phase' dial.
    In the 18th C. the amount of moonlight would govern going out at night. A few days ago I was in mid-Wales, the moon was so bright it cast a distinct moon shadow, and I have been able to read a newspaper by moonlight.

There is a chronic problem with these later 20th C clocks, they wore out in a very expensive way. Earlier clocks had hardened pinions, the plates would wear and the holes could be easily bushed to re-align the wheels. These modern ones suffer from pivot wear, and re-pivoting arbours is a much more skilled job. The clocks themselves were cased in 'woodlike products' and had those problematic movements, so nowadays have little value, although usually not that little value.

Make your own weights, aim for about 7 pounds each and add more weight as needed. This may make it work even if knackered, for a while, but possibly for long enough to move it on.

Any Jewelry, judy and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted