Picked up this old clock today any info?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Upyerkillt, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

Hey everyone I picked this up at a Thrift shop today. I don't know much about it but I really dig it. Any info about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    moreotherstuff and Roaring20s like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

It would be nice if you could edit this thread and click on full image for all pictures so we don't have to click on the wee thumbnails. TY

komokwa likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-3-4_0-18-36.jpeg

open the back and see if there are any markings on the movement.......

4. komokwa

5. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

The back is a solid piece. I believe the front face would have to be removed

6. komokwa

there are hinges ...looks like the whole thing pops out.........
    but open the bottom and disengage the weight first...

or so i'd think !

Fid likes this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would think that it's a Swedish tall case clock.

Darkwing Manor, morgen94 and judy like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

My thoughts also.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The case is Gustavian in style.

judy likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Looks to be a later provincial French Morbier - looks to be a later one, circa 1900 spring wound.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

As to date, we'd need to see the movement.... escapement type to date the early through later 19th century examples that were weight driven (large movement) - the spring wound came in 1890ish and are smaller.... that dial looks later to me. Of course there was a lot of carry over in the production of these provincial clocks.

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

It is weight driven with pretty rough cast iron weights 20210303_202048.jpg

judy likes this.
  14. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  15. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

Almost all of the Mora clocks seem to not have the brass scene over the face, that tends to look more like french style? I should know i have been into clocks for 2 days now! Haha!

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

17. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ID of the movement and case, @Fid! Movements and casings were often imports to Sweden. Am not surprised that the movement and case holding this clock are French/Bretonne. The handpainted florals are very typical of Scandinvian tall clocks, especially from Mora.The face on the featured clock made me think of my wall clock, below, a Swedish-made Pendyl (Swedish), with a German movement by Gustav Becker. It was a wedding present to my parents from my father's parents in 1938. Gustav Becker movements were exported to many countries so clocks with Gustav Becker movements are numerous. e*B shows lots of GB movement. That a French movement is fitted in a Mora clock is therefore not unusual.
    gustav-becker-movement-Swedish-clock.jpg

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it seems that there are some errors around that need clarifying in this case.
    there is no difference between a Comtoise and a Morbier, the names are used interchangably.
    the one showed as French/ Bretonne is only "Bretonne" by the place of the production of the wood-case. the works were produced on both sides of the Franco-Swiss border, mainly around Belfort and Montbéliard.
    I very much doubt that Comtoise works were exported to such far away and unknown places as Sweden. it sounds more logic that the form of the cases was "imported" and then completed with Becker and other German works. Becker would only have been capable of producing accurate works in the 1860s and later.
    I see a very small chance that the models and some works that would have been copied in Prussia when Prussia possessed land on both sides of the Franco-Swiss border, namely half of the canton of Neuchâtel and around Montbéliard that went under the German name Mümpelgard.

judy and sabre123 like this.
  19. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

Thanks to everyone for all of the great information. In order to see the actual movement of the clock how would it come out? Does it just slide out of the front? The back, top and sides are all sealed up.

judy likes this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

we definitely need more pics. but normally it should be a few screws only from underneath so you can slide it out towards the front when you took off the weights.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted