Picked Up Two Mid Century Jewelry Boxes

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Sassy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Picked these two up from an auction recently, I believe they are both from the 1950's. I think they are both quite lovely. I am keeping the wood one and selling the pinkish brown one.

Question - What would the pinkish one be made out of? I can't decide if it's brass or plastic. I also am not sure how to clean it.

The wood one has a photo in it that says October 1957

brass jb 5.JPG brass jb 3.JPG jewelry box 2.JPG jewelry box oct 1957.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    kyratango and judy like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Sassy, the small one (not the wood one) could possibly be much older. What does the inside look like? (silk lined? velvet? no lining?)

Also, how about the bottom?

kyratango, Sassy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The pinkish one is art nouveau ,the wood one looks 1940s. I love the wooden one.

aaroncab, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Ah, of course I forgot to take photos of the inside or bottom. I will take some more photos tomorrow and update!

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The one you are calling pinkish brown is from the 1890s - Art Nouveau

Pot metal or spelter as some people call it - with a copper plating.
    Should have a silk lining as SBSVC said.

Sassy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I will venture to guess that the "pinkish" one is by WB Mfg. Co. (Weidlich Brothers Mfg. Co). They produced MANY items such as this. Most of these boxes were made of spelter electroplated with copper, gold or silver, and were called "metal art", many of them unlined (I have one and have sold a few!).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Call it "matte rose gold-tone"

Christmasjoy, judy and Sassy like this.
  8. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Wow thank you all so much! We were racking our brains trying to figure out what it was MADE out of.

I took a few photos of the bottom and inside. It appears to be original lining, there is a braid where the lining meets the piece. The bottom says JB and 979

You guys are fantastic, thank you! brass inside 2.jpg brass under.jpg brass inside.jpg

Christmasjoy, SBSVC and judy like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The JB may be Jennings Brothers. It looks the same as the marks on a pair of copper-plated candlesticks I showed here within the past couple of weeks or so, and Jennings was my conclusion.

10. Bakersgma

Here's a picture of the JB mark on the bottom of one of the sticks. Note that the B is slightly double-stamped.

Jennings Brothers Candlestick Mark.jpg

Christmasjoy and Sassy like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Here's a link to the page containing the Jennings Brothers marks that appear on silver plated items. Not that your box or my sticks were ever silver plated, they plated with other metals too.

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_J.html

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at the huge disparity in asking prices for these little boxes. (Some call them jewelry boxes, others jewelry caskets, and still others, ring boxes. Be sure to check all the different names if you want to look at them online.)

I randomly picked a few marked JB from eBay to include here:

This one sold last month for only $9.99 + S&H:
    img0 (298).jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Art...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Asking prices are higher (which means little!) for these:
    img0 (297).jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JB-Victoria...d=292241664856&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

img0 (295).jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JB-Victoria...852990?hash=item1eceeffbfe:g:A~wAAOSwOTVZmxs0

And here's one that was likely silver-plated:
    img0 (296).jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Jen...314797?hash=item33d543aeed:g:T4IAAOSw6DtYXAn2

Sassy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Definitely looks the same! Wow, thanks! Off to google about them now haha

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and SBSVC like this.
  14. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!

I had been googling for awhile and came to the same conclusion, that they aren't worth too much. I was surprised they are not worth more, I think they are very cool.

I am likely going to keep this one and give it as a gift at some point or keep it for myself.

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think these Art Nouveau caskets used to be more popular and sell for more money a few years back. Value has fallen.

Still think they are really neat, would make a very fun presentation box for a piece of jewelry or gift card, etc.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted