Featured Picture frame find

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by daveydempsey, Dec 30, 2018.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I brought around 10 large picture frames home that contained personal photo's from a deceased estate, babies, weddings, etc, all unsigned & undated and of no use to anyone.
    I shred the photo's and sell the frames, but I always check if anything is inside.

Found this signed 100 year old certificate in an old 18" x 14" frame from the end of WWI that had been used as backing.

I've re framed it.

20181230_103432.jpg

20181230_102656.jpg

20181230_103104.jpg

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Nice find, Davey! It's in great condition.

3. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wonderful, and very much in the picture( :sorry: ) at the moment because of the WWI remembrance period.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I cant be the only one saddened by the picture shredding part ! I get why,but it seems so sad to me.

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Davey, what a lovely thing. And the sober framing is perfect!

8. daveydempsey

I totally agree with you and it pains me to shred them, but no one cares or wants them and I feel it best they are shredded rather than dumped on a pile of crap.
    The guy was 94 with no kids or relatives.

Unless you are famous or infamous, 3 generations and you are gone and forgotten about.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's too bad. I once got someone's entire Hong Kong/Macau vacation photo collection in an estate sale. Sold them to an artist for a few bucks to mess with, which is why I bought them myself. The family either didn't exist or didn't want the photos. It hurts when this happens, but sometimes you do what you have to unless you can find someone who wants a collection of "instant ancestors".

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

most of my folks slides and photos are likely to meet the same fate........as are a bunch of mine..:(

11. daveydempsey

Its sad and a thing folks 150 years ago didn't have to think about because the technology did not exist.
    I've designed some 3 x 3`collages including real photos of myself, parents, my kids when they were young , pets, ex colleagues and one famous actor who I knew, in the hope that when I have gone, one of my kids or grand kids might display on their walls.

My Dad has done one and it quite amazing, all in B & W, still hanging in his hallway until the day comes it hangs in my hallway.

Each photo has a rough date and of who the subject is, written on the back.

Or you can put them in the Cloud with Kanya and the Kardashians :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have 15 albums with hundreds of photos in each that this soldier took during WWll during his travels through Europe. The family dumped them in the trash. I took them out of the trash and thought I would donate them to the VFW in town. They did not want them. So the boxes are sitting in the bottom of my closet and most likely get dumped when I pass. I took all of his medals and battle ribbons
    and returned them to the family and begged them to keep them for his grandchildren might want them. I do not know if they threw them out again or not.
    greg

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think we all have boxes like that. The I don’t know what to do with, so I’ll just keep them category.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love that TA one, well done davey.

A few years back, I bought several books of memorabilia which had been put together by someone serving in Singapore during the war, who went on to have a bit of success in the theatre. Found them by pure chance. The man was my godfather. I told the (lovely) seller the story and he then found a photo of godfather's wedding, and sent it to me as a gift. My godfather was with my mother.

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Evelyb,
    Thank you for the information. I am going to contact them and see if they are interested. Better than wasting away in one of my closets.
    greg

scoutshouse, i need help and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted