picture signature help

Discussion in 'Art' started by tom_412, Jan 1, 2022.

1. tom_412

tom_412 Member

Any help on deciphering this signature? Czech possibly?

The picture is probably 1960ish. I don't know its history since I got it on eBay.

Thanks for your thoughts!

pic.jpg

thanks for any help! sig.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like couch art......where finding the artist would be next to impossible...

judy likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

will be hard. especially as it is a signature. looks like Deutsche Kurrent.
    if Czech, Austrian or Swiss then a local variation of Sütterlin is possible, especially in the Germanspeaking regions.
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's certainly a common subject for decorative art. Still... more skillful than most and what appears to be a genuine signature. A photograph of the back including frame would be helpful. And perhaps a close-up section of the work itself to get an idea of the artist's technique. If that's a building in the middle ground, I'd suggest you photograph and post that. Architecture can be helpful in identifying location.

Debora

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I enlarged and enhanced it 4X....did absolutely NOTHING for the signature (NOT surprised!) but that questionable spot in the distance, if you ask me, tends, I THINK, to look like some sort of a castle structure with a turret. Closer in the foreground looks like either chopped down forestry OR an abandoned structure as well.....

picA-low_res-scale-4_00x-cropped-gigapixel-sharpen-Focus.jpg

judy likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

schneekoppe.jpg
    schneek2.jpg

judy likes this.
  8. tom_412

tom_412 Member

the pictures do look like the painting. I think assuming it depicts an European scene is about the best I can do. Regardless, I like the picture and I'm sure I have wall space for it. : )

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it would be the Schneekoppe.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sněžka

10. tom_412

tom_412 Member

that's a very good fit! the many castle ruins and what looks like one in the picture is a good match too.

thanks very much!

Fid likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have no idea what the signature is but I wonder if what look like structures are just where the light is hitting the trees, dead or alive. It looks like it could be so many places, could easily be a view from somewhere in the US too. And that would assume it's a real place.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

13. tom_412

tom_412 Member

the link to the German alphabet was helpful. I now think the signature is two names - first starting with S, the second with H. As shown in Deutsche Normalschrift

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the first could even be Schnee but I don't see koppe as the second part. perhaps berg ? my eyes are too tired.:)

15. tom_412

tom_412 Member

I'm thinking the first word is Schini and the last H-ní (mixing alphabets)

Draft saved Draft deleted