Featured Pie Safe age and cleaning advise

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeaGoat, May 10, 2022.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

This piece was from my significant others granny's house.
    No one even knew it existed because it was in the very back of their canning shed that couldn't even be walked in, literally you could only open the door.. the last time anyone even remembered being able to shimmy in there was the 1970s.

Anyways, since my SO wasn't laying claim to anything, I claimed this for him :D

It looks to have been repainted at some point with this terrible green paint. (Don't let the pictures fool you, it's a very Oscar the grouch green)
    If it's the same type of paint I think it is, it comes off very goopy when trying to remove it :depressed:, so I guess I'll live with it.

I'd still like to clean it though. It's very dusty and mildewed.
    What's the best cleaner for the raw wood and painted wood?
    How about the rusted tin? Should I try and "rub" the loose rust off or leave it as-is?

I dont plan on using this as food storage, but storage for files and Misc what not.

What time period would yall attribute this piece to?

It seems as though locks, handles, etc have been removed, moved, and replaced.
    It seems to have an array of different nails and repairs as well.

20220510_155609.jpg 20220510_155252.jpg 20220510_155524.jpg 20220510_155455.jpg 20220510_155446.jpg

inside of back
    20220510_155354.jpg 20220510_155303.jpg 20220510_155330.jpg 20220510_155308.jpg 20220510_155348.jpg

Happy!, stracci, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1880-1920 for age. That being said,they pretty much were built the same way until the 30s. The color makes me think 1930s,but that could have been someone idea of prettying up an earlier (and much used) piece. I like it,and though I refuse to ever refinish furniture again I might have to on this one.Its a good,honest piece.

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I love it and I would have grabbed it in a minute!

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yes, I do too, but it certainly needs some TLC!!!!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, Nile green. Very 1930s.

Debora

Born2it, Darkwing Manor and SeaGoat like this.
  7. SeaGoat

I think the green paint is an additive, like you said, someone gussied it up at some point, the way the paint seeped in through the tin holes makes me think whomever built this was not the same person who painted it..

What would you do to refinish it?

8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I love the green and the way it's been patinated! As-is, this piece tells a charming story. I would use a very soft brush to dust and gently vacuum the piece. Then sparingly wipe the bare wood portions with a solution of Murphy's Oil Soap to remove the mold and the worst of the grime. If the green is water-soluble, leave it be or you will have a smeary mess. Let dry and use a good furniture wax coat over the stable portions of the finish and tin. I would also remove the two horizontal repairs. It would look right at home on your covered porch!

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

It would be right at home here. I would use it for storing my cookbooks.

johnnycb09, Born2it and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I would definitely refinish it. I would not overdo the refinishing. Most were constructed roughly of pine and flattened gal. cans. They were not intended as interior furniture. I have one, which was in worse shape than yours, which I refinished. To finish it I used a light stain and sealer and put in magnetic closures. It now resides in my kitchen and is used as a pantry. It clashes with everything but we love it.

11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Good eye. I have two of them. Humidity is a problem in Missouri so I store clothes in one of mine. It allows for a little breathing . I would leave the green paint since it is most likely old but I might pull the tin and clean off the paint with ammonia. Depends on what it looks like cleaned up.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd check it for holes.....:(:(

other wise.....pull the metal.....clean it ...loose the paint.....put it back....and just make sure the rest of the wood is solid and stable..

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Paint has good honest wear and I would keep it. Clean thoroughly with soap and water, trying not to get too wet. Make repairs as necessary. Then, give it a coat of paste wax and call it a day.

Edit: Just saw that @Darkwing Manor had basically the same advice.... Great minds and all.... ;)

Darkwing Manor and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What a beautiful cupboard!

15. SeaGoat

I put it off for weeks, but I finally finished cleaning it.

I used a dawn, vinegar, and water solution with a scrub brush. It did have to be soaked down many times, but I immediately dried it with old towels and it held up fine. It lost a lot of the patina, but most of it was absolutely disgusting with what im guessing was some sort of caked food, and since it was going in my kitchen to store (non-food) items, it was a price I had to pay. :inpain:

The top had to be sanded down, it was so thick with a black grime, several washes and scrubs didn't take it off.
    I added a little natural color stain back to the top and bare wood areas so it didn't stick out *as* bad, then applied a paste wax to the outside paint, and to the outside and inside of the tin.

The tin was in such bad shape in places, I didn't want to risk it disintegrating on me..

Overall I'm happy with it. It doesn't smell anymore and I get more storage in my kitchen :D

1655744833759.jpg

stracci, Figtree3, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the "AFTER" image! Well done!

SeaGoat likes this.
  17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im a "scrubber" too ! I have to decontaminate everything I bring in,though truly Im not a germophobe ! It looks great !

SeaGoat and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

much better and now useful! Good job!

SeaGoat likes this.
  19. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Love it, & looks great…glad you kept the green.

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The clean-up really improved it. Thanks for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted