Pierced metal bowl with lid and blue glass liner

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ALittleBit, Feb 22, 2019.

1. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

As per thread title, this little bowl is silver metal bowl or container pierced with a sort of floral design to show off the cobalt blue glass liner. It stands 13cm high and 16cm edge of handle to handle. I have attached five [bit average, sorry] photos, including one of the lid upside down to show the contrast with the outside bit [it is silver - the light caused the gold effect], and one of the inside of the metal container which looks as if it has been painted with something. Some sort of thin white-ish emulsion. I have tried gently to remove it but no go. I have cleaned up the lid a bit. The metal container is very heavy. No firm idea on what metal but wishfully thinking silver. I have had this item for quite a while and do not know much about it except an idea that someone said it might be Russian? No marks anywhere. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Container 3.jpg Container 1.jpg Container 2.jpg Container 4.jpg Container 5.jpg

2. MountainLark

MountainLark Active Member

Lovely little piece. My guess is that if it indeed came from Russia, it could be a sugar bowl to match a set of podstakanniki (tea glass holders.)

Pat P, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

MountainLark, I thought sugar bowl as well. Thank you for the correct term for tea glass holders. I had a set some time ago and they were exquisite work. I've done a bit more googling using this proper term - lots of tea glass holders around, not so many sugar bowls. Do Russian metal items usually carry a mark of some kind?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. MountainLark

MountainLark Active Member

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Thanks again. I just wish my bowl had one :)

judy likes this.