Featured Pietra Dura Pendant from Marienbad

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Bought this lovely pendant today. It has a locket on the back. Am I right to think Victorian? It looks very well made, but I think it is base metal. Was it a cheap piece back in the day?

20190418_154810.jpg 20190418_154729.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That enamel may be lower grade silver. A little tourist souvenir from someone who took the waters in the late 19th C.

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

For some reason, I just really love the thought of Victorian era tourists. I don't know why. It really provokes my imagination.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. Ownedbybear

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As souvenirs go, this one looks very well designed & manufactured. Metal could be 800 silver. Still looks in very good condition, too. :)

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Me, too. I love the image of people dressed to the gills at expensive resorts or by a river bank (as in an impressionist painting), and exhibiting suburb manners.

That's as opposed to our modern day jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc. and relatively loud and impolite behavior.

I wouldn't actually fit all that well into what I see in my mind, but it is a lovely image! :)

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  7. Bronwen

Since I collect cameos, mostly 19th century, I feel like I'm hobnobbing with this crowd all the time.

8. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Very nice piece. I'm with bronwen on the silver being low grade (80%-). I always polish pieces like this so I can see what the oxidized metal looks like. It may polish to a silver color then rapidly tarnish to a goldish color which just means that the other 20% is high in copper. The Mari----- inscription looks pretty ratty and looks as though it could easily be removed which would improve the looks of the piece tremendously.

Bronwen and Barn Owl like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

No way would I remove the town name. Given the history of the place, it adds considerably to its interest and value. A Sunshine cloth is all I'd use.

I suspect the plaque itself was made in Italy.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  10. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely locket, Barn.:)
    The enamel looks a bit like niello, is it greyish black?
    I agree, never, ever remove the name, especially not Marienbad.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    It wasn't just any old village, it was grand but still dainty enough to be truly elegant (or ott to some). I think it is the prettiest of the old spa towns.
    With interest in Grand Tour souvenirs and renewed interest in things Austro-Hungarian there is a market for these. The name proves the connection.

Some pics of the spa buildings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    kyratango, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  12. Bronwen

The place name has been painted on, so the pietra dura plaque was made as a blank, suitable for use by any popular watering spot. Could have been done more durably - & expensively - as micromosaic.

Quite possible, although Germany has its own strong lapidary tradition, centered around the agate beds of Idar-Oberstein.

kyratango likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

It is possible, Idar-Oberstein is not far from Bohemia (Czechia) where Marienbad is.
    But Bohemia had a lapidary tradition as well, which got a boost when Italian craftspeople moved from Florence to Prague in the 16th century. They used local Bohemian stones.
    Marienbad, Marianske Lazne, is a stone's throw from Prague.:D

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

When the mines at Idar-Oberstein got played out, by the start of the 19th century, many of the lapidaries went to Rome. When German immigrants to South America found vast supplies of agate there, the industry revived. The S.A. material is near colorless & has to be dyed, nothing new in that. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Yellow base metal, I agree, black is either vitreous enamel or paint.
    Very pretty!!!
    Don't remove the Marienbad part if you polish...

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I disagree with those who hold that the name should not be removed. It's flaking off slowly now and before long will be gone and/or unreadable. I feel that jewelry is/was made to be worn and that jewelry should be enjoyed. It should be displayed at it's best. Yes, if used and worn it will wear out. If put away and never worn, it will last, but enjoyed by very few. Natural "patina" many times looks great but also many times looks spotty and unkempt. It is up to the owner as to what they prefer. As a compromise I would recommend polishing the backside and see what exactly could or couldn't be accomplished then proceed or cease from there.

Barn Owl likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

I like my old jewellery to look old, not brand new. I also like to keep its history - and yes, I wear all of it. But not at once.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I have never seen natural patina that looked spotty and unkempt. Just tarnish, verdigris and filth that look messy, but those should be removed anyway.

I would polish the metal of the locket, but not remove the Marienbad name, it is part of the design and the history.
    The mirrored fountain design would look a bit silly anyway without a name in that broad central band that parts the fountain from its mirror image, imo. And since it is a fountain design, the logical name would be that of a spa town, like Marienbad. Or, if it were Belgian, Spa of course.:)

I like antique jewellery because of its design and history. If you mess with the design and buff away the patina, you might as well buy repro or modern jewellery.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    kyratango and Ownedbybear like this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

only completely culturless people would think of removing the name. this was and is not Bellefourche South Dakota or another place at the lower backbone of the world.
    mabad6 (1024x685).jpg
    furthermore it would destroy the appeal to the whole mid-European market if offered for sale.
    many people like Marienbad better than Karlsbad because there are less Russians.

20. Bronwen

Maybe you could send it to France for a touch of kyratisation. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted