Pilgrim Sunflower Chest

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by James Conrad, Sep 21, 2017.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

An American pilgrim chest is up for grabs next month, a blanket chest attributed to Peter Blin (1640-1725) Wethersfield Connecticut. The "Sunflower" school of joinery flourished in central Connecticut during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries and over eighty five examples are known today bearing the signature floral carving (once thought to be sunflowers, but now described as marigolds or stylized rosettes) as seen on this chest's central panel. Sale estimate 30k-50k at Nadeau's, Oct. 21
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/56234741_sunflower-chest-having-lift-top-over-sunflower-carved
    sunflower chest.jpg

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Thank you for showing this!

James, have I mentioned how pleased I am that you joined us? I'll have to compose an "Ode in Oak" to show my appreciation for the new directions you bring me into..........

3. James Conrad

No problem! Here is a Blin chest at the MET with all the dirt & grim cleaned off
    metsun2.jpg

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, always look forward to his posts.
    And James, I love that you show us those genuine, honest, antique pieces, an antidote after seeing so much recently made 'antique furniture'. I need that.

5. James Conrad

Thanks! Yeah, i hear you! Thing is, there is an ocean of good quality real antique furniture available today selling for a song but for many, for one reason or another that's not good enough, they either don't want it at all or they think you can buy a period piece for 10 bucks.

6. James Conrad

LOL, OK! oak is some weird stuff no doubt, particularly riven oak. Joiners worked it "green" or "wet" which to a cabinetmaker is HERESY! cabinetmakers work their wood dry at 10-15% moisture content to keep it from cupping, shrinking, cracking, checking, bla bla bla. But, joined wet riven oak doesn't shrink, crack, cup, check or any of those things, it just sits there like a fortress for centuries with it's only enemies, fire or bugs, WEIRD STUFF!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

It's worth noting that american riven oak chests are relative newcomers to the scene, children you might say. There are extant oak chests all over europe that are much older,
    some of them are going on 1000 years old. Here are a couple medieval chests that are still with us below, Pinterest has a page with many more.
    https://www.pinterest.com/corgizoogirl/medieval-furniture-chests/?lp=true

medieval.JPG

medieval oak.jpg

AJefferson, cxgirl, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  8. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I went to a workshop in Wethersfield last week to learn about construction of American furniture, 1600-1900's. Good experience.

9. James Conrad

NEAT! Guesses you are from/ live in Conn? Do you build furniture or thinking about it?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Yes to Connecticut. Actually got married at an historical barn -Webb-Stevens - in Wethersfield umpty-ump years ago.
    I can operate an electric stapler, but that is the extent of my carpentry skills.
    I simply like things that have already lived part of their life. And having retired this past year, I finally have the time to indulge in learning. Told myself I'd start a small e-bay type of business, but so far haven't.

cxgirl, SBSVC, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  11. James Conrad

Ahhhh, well, you got time, no need to rush.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. James Conrad

OK KIDZ, TODAY is the day this chest goes on the block. I'll guess 225k including all fees, estimate is 30-50k. What's your guess?

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SHEEEEZE...........THAT'S about $25.00 out of my price range.....sorry!!!:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::chicken::chicken::chicken::coldfeet::coldfeet::coldfeet::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::muted::muted::muted::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::):):):playful::playful::wideyed::wideyed::woot::woot::woot::woot::p:p:p:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BUT......it IS beautiful!!!!

AJefferson, judy and komokwa like this.
  14. James Conrad

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Provenance & condition play a major role here as does an in person exam, none of which we are privy too.

16. James Conrad

SOLD! for $34,000.00
    Someone got a bargain!

Draft saved Draft deleted