Pine Needle Baskets Help

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, Feb 3, 2016.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    wI have 2 pine needle baskets and trying to determine where they were made. When searching I found you can take classes to make these, so perhaps these ones are from a craft class?
    3" diameter x 3"H, the other is 4 1/2" diameter x 4 1/4"H.
    Any information appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC03261.jpg DSC03264.jpg DSC03259.jpg DSC03269.jpg

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

All I know about pine needle baskets is... that Bdigger here (Mike) MAKES them! I have one!!!

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks gila! I remember bdigger showing some of his work, he is very talented:)

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Until we hear from Taupou or Komo, I'll offer what I know:

Although there is some disagreement, it is generally agreed that the technique of making pine-needle baskets originated outside the US (in the Canary Islands) especially as regards some of the more decorative rosettes (not present in yours); but a number of US tribes adopted the style, and have been making pine-needle baskets for 100 years or more. Most of those tribes are in the southern or SE US; Florida, or the Coushatta tribe of Louisiana for example.
    The craft style has reached the mainstream crafting community, and kits and instructions have made the basketry style widely available. As a result, it can be quite difficult to determine whether a particular basket is native or non-native made; or to attribute it to a particular tribe - certainly I am not qualified to do that.
    I do have quite a few pine-needle baskets in my own collection, and many I do know to be native-made, because they came from a reputable source, with documentation indicating the name and tribe of the maker. Absent that documentation, I would not be able to tell.
    These do look similar to some that I have, but beyond that I can't tell you much.

yourturntoloveit, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  5. all_fakes

A bit more; one article about a family of Coushatta basket-makers in Louisiana quotes them as saying the pine needle baskets began to be made by that tribe in the mid-twentieth century, due to a scarcity of native materials such as rivercane, wiregrass, and split white oak which had been used previously.
    Here's a photo of another pine-needle basket showing the Canary-Island style rosettes:
    basket1.jpg

Pat P and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great information Steve!
    Any I'm finding don't have the ends of the needles in place, but mine do - I wondered if that could help.
    That example you show is wonderful, love the rosettes.
    DSC03270.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can't add much to this....
    If there was more intricate work....or colored thread ......it might be easier to place ....

cxgirl likes this.
  8. all_fakes

I'm not enough of an expert to know anything about the treatment of the ends of the bundles, sorry; though that may well tell an expert something. And it is true that many pine-needle baskets do not include the ends. I also have seen some where the ends are included and carefully aligned to become a decorative element in themselves.

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks komokwa!
    Yes, the ends on mine don't really form a design. thanks Steve, I'll keep looking.

yourturntoloveit and komokwa like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Mill Cove Treasures and cxgirl like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks cluttered, great link! That one has the ends of the needles too, and the base looks the same. If you look at the next photo there is a lid similar to mine - the knob is bigger on mine.

12. Amy Dow

Amy Dow New Member

I am looking for suggestions as how to clean the outside and inside of this beautiful Pineneedle pocketbook that my mother in law made in 1977. I am having some difficulty trying to figure out how to post the picture on here. So I will start with this post and hopefully add a picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted