Featured Place Setting /Doily Help

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Shwikman, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Going through a huge drawer of linens, etc. Some things seem older than others…these two examples seem older. Maybe it’s the finer thread or slightly yellowed appearance. There are multiples of both of these and they’re very consistent…about place setting size..
    I know we have some extremely knowledgeable folks here..so here goes nothing!
    5EA6F20C-9E7D-41CB-BC6C-0080E7C63E59.jpeg 3DBCFF79-8102-4A6E-853C-9F2CC0C4577B.jpeg DB94A202-1350-401B-B378-6F6567DABEC6.jpeg 9A428666-0451-4E04-9C04-548C3525939F.jpeg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Personally, I JUST can't imaging having the patience to make even ONE of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop: And now for a tag: @Northern Lights Lodge

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's A LOT of work.

Debora

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Tatted lace I think as opposed to crocheted lace.

I had two great grandmas who did both crocheting and tatting well into their old age.

One of them even enjoyed dressing dolls with her crochet work, right down to frilly little underpants, lol. She had shelves and shelves of little dolls she had made costumes and different outfits for. She used tiny little crochet hooks and delicate thread.

Too bad I didn't pay much attention to the difference between tatted and crochet doilies when I was a kid. But I am leaning towards tatting on these placemats.

5. acvintage

acvintage Member

This is a knotted lace called Italian filet lace. If you do a search for "vintage filet lace" you'll find many examples similar to yours.

6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Right on! ACvintage nailed it! I've been on vacation in an inaccessible location... limited phone coverage and sporatic internet coverage! Just got home yesterday!

In the lace lessons at the beginning of the Textiles post - there is one called Handmade filet vs machine made. Although your example is constructed using larger thread; it is essentially made the same as the smaller examples of handmade filet lace.

Thanks for sharing!
    Leslie

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and Shwikman like this.
  7. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Thank YOU for sharing!!

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted