Plastic bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 21, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

These beads are odd and have been in my ‘haven’t a clue’ pile for a while but I’m doing a mega clear out whilst we are under lockdown.

They sort of look quite old with the star decoration and the feel of them- slightly contoured and rounded- but the plastic has seams which puts them as more modern. The plastic feels dense not like modern plastic but not solid like Bakelite etc. The stars have some messy white paint which has been lost on some of them, sort of looks home done but not so sure. The white stuff down the seams doesn’t seem to want to scrape off with a fingernail. There is an old brass spring ring but they have been restrung.
    Any ideas or just cheap 60s stuff?
    Thanks for looking :)
    06F4524F-5AC7-474D-A5E7-21A7AA6E8199.jpeg D2C73A98-E0A3-42FC-87E5-CC02B961D41B.jpeg 7CCE0DA8-AC94-4B2E-A01F-3CC15C443B27.jpeg 04F14EE2-BC7B-4D33-BA80-0AF4A1A6E4D1.jpeg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think earlier, but I'm not totally sure why. The style looks more 40s to me, as do the colours.

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

To begin with I nearly tossed them in the junk pile but I keep looking at them thinking they aren’t modern junk.
    I’d like to clean them but could end up stripping the white off altogether?. Or just a gentle wash and restring with some round black spacers?
    When did pressed plastic beads with a seam appear do you think?
    I’ve just realised what else makes them seem older, the sound of the beads clinking together , it’s a solid sort of clink like Bakelite not a dull tap like you get with modern plastic. Hard to describe a sound in words!

kyratango likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

How long is it? Sometimes that helps when trying to date a necklace.

KSW likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

100cm if you laid it open end to end. 40 inches.

kyratango, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A shortish flapper length, with a look to match. Maybe a bit later, but my vote is still for Art Deco

kyratango, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

So 1930ish then?. Ok, that’s fun , Thankyou all! I’ll try to find some mustardy yellow beads to replace those worn out ones.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

KSW, sounds like you are busy dipping into your hoard, so am I. I have restrung about 8 or 10 necklaces so far. I'm saving 1 jade and 3 coral necklaces for last since they need to be knotted :wideyed:

Keeps be busy since I can't go out anywhere right now!

kyratango, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I like knotting!!. I knot all of mine unless it would ruin the flow of it.
    Tbh I am using my hoard as a bit of a bank account at the moment as I’m not working due to lockdown. My OH has always been a bit sniffy about my hoard but is suddenly appreciating it now it’s paying the bills. Its also a good opportunity to purge some stuff I don’t even like or isn’t my style that’s been hanging around for too long.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I really like those larger beads for some reason... even their imperfections.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're bold, aren't they? Had to have been chosen by someone with elan.

Debora

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I keep thinking about re-stringing my old coral necklace... what do you use and do you have any good links with instructions? TIA!

KSW likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

I use the twisted silk cord that has an attached needle.

I have had a couple necklaces that I sent out to be professionally done, they were valuable enough it made sense.

bluumz, KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With that colour combination, certainly. It works so well and gives it extra character, but would have been a bit daring for some.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I watched lots of YouTube videos. The ones that worked for me were as if I was looking over the shoulder of the person doing the work. Some videos are filmed from opposite the person and that caused brain meltdown. Watch lots of videos until you find one that works for you. You will also need some GS Hypo glue just to secure the knots (the first and last not all of them) and some french wire for the ends and some sharp snips.
    If you’ve only got one to do then definitely the thread with the needle attached is the way to go but for what you get it is expensive so I’d practise with some cheap thread first. I’ve used a knotting tool and didn’t get on with it as I couldn’t get the knots close enough so I hand knot.
    I use reels of thread where I can because I am stingy but sometimes I have to use the single thread if the beads or cap holes are too small to fit two threads through.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    kyratango, bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted