Plate White Blue Decoration Hand Painted Unusual Back ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy60us, May 24, 2016.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

I just bought seven of these oval plates all white with similar blue painted decorations. They have hanger loops, strange finished wiped backs, and some type of grit in the glaze. Measure 8" by 6" Anyone know how old and country of origin or it they are some type of made over hobby piece?

blue on white 001.JPG blue on white 004.JPG blue on white 006.JPG

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The painted decoration is reminiscent of Delftware, I would start there.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The Dutch are pretty good about marking their pottery and have done for hundreds of years. It doesn't look very Dutch to me so unless it's marked I'd think probably not Delft at least not in the sense of being from Delft.

That smeary bottom looks sort of recent to me though the rest of it is hard to tell. They made blue and white pottery in many countries so nailing it down may be hard. France maybe.

4. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you. I read tonight that the Dutch started to glaze the undersides in the mid 1600's. Another thought, I had was that the brown on the bottom was applied to hide something. I might soak one in Lestoil and see if any of it comes off.

Draft saved Draft deleted