Featured Please don’t be mad at me

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Treasure Fox, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Treasure Fox

Treasure Fox New Member

I posted this in a fb group thinking it would be an easy answer, nope, lots of drama. I won’t get into it but this was my question, which they never did answer:

“I know 925, but I have a cup marked “24 sterling” is that just short for 924? Meaning it’s 92.4% silver mixed with copper? I’ve not seen this before and can’t find any definitive info to back this up. Anyone know their silver?”

*I could post a photo of the items needed, I didn’t post one on the fb group; but I didn’t think it was needed to answer the question. For reference, it’s a vintage child’s cup (I think) with the engraving Mary J Gordon on the side and 24 sterling stamped on the bottom. It has SO much patina and it’s not magnetic.

Thank you!

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Treasure Fox! Sorry about your experience over there.

The fact is that a picture really is worth a thousand words. And since I am not familiar with a marking of "24 sterling" in any jurisdiction, it would be a good idea for you to post a clear, focused picture of what is on your vintage cup. And while you're at it, how about a picture of the whole cup? :)

We promise not to bite. ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yes photos please! Just a wild guess, could 24 be a model number?

Any Jewelry, judy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if is isn't marked sterling with 24 being the model number.
    We really do need a picture of the item and the mark, please.

And welcome to our board. I think you will find us for the most part a very amiable group. Although we do tend to get a little off track once in a while.

judy, Bakersgma and say_it_slowly like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was also thinking that it was a possibility. But TF said they had not seen anything like this before, so I've been discounting the model/inventory number idea.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Silver has tarnish....not patina ! Chmop , chomp !!!!!:hilarious:

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

As said above, tarnish is not patina, it is damage. Silver is meant to be polished. You need to use a gentle polish to clean it up. Do not use a dip like Tarnex!

judy likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Sounds good - if the piece is older, then the 24 would be known as a "pattern number" for that shape of cup. But hard to tell without the picture.....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@Treasure Fox , I recently saw someone else's cups here, had some markings, turned out to be worth a lot of money for some small silver cups that looked, essentially, like nothing. ;)

So yes - photos will help!

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Treasure Fox!

Welcome to Antiquers............​

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Photos are necessary.

13. komokwa

Describe the item like there are no photo's,
    and supply photo's like there is no description......

Otherwise........we can't be of any help whatsoever.....

no one likes a guessing game....
    ( unless it's Mr N8...posting a guessing game..:hilarious::hilarious:)

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Treasure Fox. Please don't be shy, and yes we need photos.

Silver can have patina and/or tarnish. Tarnish is the dark stuff, and that is dirt and oxidization which needs to be removed. Patina is a wonderful soft glow which silver gets over time and handling. It makes it look so beautifully tactile.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    judy and komokwa like this.
  15. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I like to polish my silver by lining a pan with foil and some water - bring to a boil - pour in baking soda and dip. Cleans up so shiny and I have never had a piece damaged this way.

16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’m just gonna put this out there since no one else did yet. It could be .925 silver with 24k gold gilt/paint decoration. The whole thing could have been gilt, vermeil, or plated. There could have been 24k gold embellishments, though those would probably still be visible. I have pieces of sterling jewelry with little bits of gold embellishment here and there. So there may be a k hidden under the tarnish or lost to wear. Conversely could be a model number or some other number that wouldn’t mean much to you like everyone said.

17. komokwa

it could be...........maybe.....;)

it could also be a toaster...:banghead:

Draft saved Draft deleted