Featured Please help date this furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by purplecat, Sep 6, 2016.

1. purplecat

purplecat New Member

Hi, does anyone have any idea how old this might be? Rumour has it its been in my family since early 1900's in South Africa. I've just had it shipped to England, and I wouldn't be surprised if this (or europe) was where it originally came from.

IMG_20160906_091634.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

1920s or so. Art deco in styling and oak. Would think this is English but it could be Continental.

lloyd249, tyeldom3 and purplecat like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks to be in beautiful condition!!!:happy::happy:

lloyd249 and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. purplecat

purplecat New Member

Thank you, it has been well looked after. There is also a matching dining table and 6 chairs, but we can't get the table through the door so its sitting in the garage!

It all weighs a ton, and I've been told its teak.

I can't find any makers marks or anything on it, but sounds like it was most probably a mass produced piece.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@ Brad....for such a nice piece , those leg bottoms look like they were sanded down from the original.
    Could this be the case ??

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You may be able to take the top of the table off to get it through the doors.
    Picture of underside of table - someone may be able to give you help on how to take it apart.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Or you turn the table on its side. Legs go through at an angle, then straighten, the other legs go through at an angle. Like you were drawing a "C"

afantiques and tyeldom3 like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it had wheels originally; that would account for the missing inch or two. It's less Art Deco than 1910s Craftsman/Victorian mishash; those pulls are straight out of the 19th century, but the shape on the back is Craftsman. It's very attractive.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. purplecat

purplecat New Member

Thank you everyone, the table top was taken off 10 years ago for a move so I know it can be done. Hopefully we'll have a go this weekend. We have an unusually narrow back door so the C approach doesn't work (it has a central pedestal with feet as apposed to legs).

Really appreciate all the feedback, thanks!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted