Featured Please help dating necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wanderer, Aug 25, 2020.

1. wanderer

wanderer Member

Dear Antiquers members

Please help me to date and trace the origin of this necklace

It can be from any part of the world and any century. I only succeeded in identifying stones - amethyst quartz with hematite inclusions (from Brazil ?).

I will appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @wanderer and WELCOME!!!! Can you go back in to your post by clicking on "Edit", then click on the very TOP image that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE as a FULL image"!! Helps everyone to see your images much easier! Thanks so much!!:):)

KSW and kyratango like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think amethyst, I think Blue John.

KSW likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Interesting piece.
    Are you in the US? or did you find this in a different country.
    I've not seen a clasp like that.

upload_2020-8-25_9-40-43.png

Welcome to the board.
    Be sure to check back as we have people from all over and they come and go at all hours.

KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. wanderer

wanderer Member

I am sorry I was not able to find “Edit” icon to change images on full size. I will follow your advised for future posts/replies.

I am in Australia and bought this necklace on auction. It can be part of deceased estate as well as just submitted for sale by individual. It was part of a lot. Australia is country of immigrants and everyone tried to bring most valuable heirlooms with them. Also, we like to travel a lot and tend to bring worlds curiosities back home.

On auction I saw items from Ming Dynasty China, India, Tibet, Mexica, Norway, Edwardian, Victorian and Art Nouveau items.

I browsed for hours on internet trying to find similar clasp. The only information I found that it is called “Byzantine hook clasp” and was popular from 300 BC and through Byzantine periods.

https://navettejewellery.org/2019/03/24/dating-necklaces-clasps-and-fasteners-part-i/

Although I think that it was used longer by amateur jewelers and jewelers in Indo Asia and may be in Pacific and South America.

This necklace is handmade. It is irregular in some parts but solid. No signs of soldering (may be just on links between plates. No stamps or inscriptions. Metal is most likely brass – it is yellow color at the back (protected by skin oil?) and dull in front (due to dirt and oxygenation?). There must be white metal (silver?) inserted under stones as it is shine under light.

Stones are similar to

https://www.gemgazer.com/amethyst-q...tite-inclusions-brazil-2563-carats-6735-p.asp

but more color.
    Could someone suggest where else I can try to find information about this necklace please? BackPartial.jpg FrontNecklace.jpg MiddleNecklace.jpg ?

KSW likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

See the cone shape, that is what is unusual. Duplicated again in the second picture where the chain is connected to the stone piece.
    upload_2020-8-25_22-50-32.png upload_2020-8-25_22-54-53.png

KSW likes this.
  7. wanderer

wanderer Member

May be a convict jeweler/pirate invention :)

KSW likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice necklace, wanderer, and welcome.
    I can't see all of the pics*, but what I see looks Indian. The plaited metal chain with cones on either side are seen a lot in India.
    The stones could be amethyst, could be fluorite (English Blue John is also fluorite :)), could be another purplish stone found in India. They are nothing like the Brazilian stone in the link imo.
    The hook clasp is traditional in many parts of the world. It was also used in Byzantium, but that covers only a smidgen of hook clasp use. Given the size of India compared to Byzantium, India is a much better bet.;)

* My computer is extremely slow at the moment, and for some reason I can't access some photos (on Antiquers only).:(
    It also takes forever to 'like' something, but believe me, I would love to 'like' a lot of your posts in the threads I have seen so far.:)
    I would also love to ID some items that haven't been ID-ed yet, but with the current state of my computer that is virtually impossible. The same with seeing tags, so please forgive me if I miss some.

10. clutteredcloset49

Yes, I agree the premise of the cone is used a lot.
    It's the construction of this cone. The way the hook comes up from inside, as opposed to being attached to the cone.
    The way the part where you attach the hook is pinched onto the other side.
    I haven't seen one made that way.
    It just looks different to me.

upload_2020-8-26_9-49-31.png

upload_2020-8-26_9-44-47.png upload_2020-8-26_9-46-36.png upload_2020-8-26_9-48-46.png

wanderer and KSW like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is different from the cone in Holly's link.

KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. Hollyblue

There are probably many different techniques I have never seen and different materials used to make jewelry, it makes this board interesting. Have you ever seen blue or purple gold,magnetic platinum,24K crystallized gold?

wanderer, clutteredcloset49 and KSW like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

Sorry to say I haven't and am not even sure I know what you are talking about.

14. clutteredcloset49

Why would they need magnetic platinum?

15. Hollyblue

wanderer and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Transparent aluminium, anyone?

komokwa likes this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

Interesting site. Thanks.

18. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your time, wisdom and expertise. I am inclining to agree with Any Jewelry – most likely this necklace is of Indian origin. Lately they had a lot of items from India on auction. If it would be from Byzantium it would cost hundreds of times more and most likely would be on display in a museum.

I will confirm with my Indian friend tomorrow (may be it is still antique/vintage )

Hematite inclusions (fine black hair like parallel structures) are very prominent in these stones. It must be common in fluorite and amethyst quartz worldwide.

The attachment design was probably dictated by material and practicality. It seems that the hook’s straight part is inserted inside the chain and almost twice longer then the cone. Chain is woven from more than 4 wires and must have cavity inside. Cone is tightly wrapped around to hold all parts together.

Thank you to Clatteredcloset-49 for all information/images on hooks and to Hollyblue for link to a very interesting jewellery site.

I will try to visit Antiquers as often as I can between my crazy shifts and help as much as I can.

Good hunting all :)

19. Dottytdame

Dottytdame New Member

the plaited wire looks like viking knit.

wanderer likes this.
  20. wanderer

wanderer Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted