Please help ID Baseball Player autographed Photo #15

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by antiquelover69, Mar 16, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I bought a storage about 6 months ago and there were many boxes of sport cards,a few photos.This one is Marlin #15.I know nothing about sports.Anybody know this name on picture.I can't make it out. SAM_1676.JPG SAM_1677.JPG SAM_1678.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. antiquelover69

4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The picture is not from an MLB game. The fence in the background with the cars parked tells us that. Player could be from the minor league or farm team. Trying to figure out from the picture what base he is covering. Looks like it could be the pitchers mound with a baseline in the background.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    SBSVC and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The uniform that he is wearing is the OLD uniform. nothing like the new ones.
    Then I took a crack at the picture being signed to JIMI. Found a relief pitcher named YIMI Garcia. Who was signed this year.....not a far stretch from YIMI to JIMI.
    Then I looked at pictures of Brian Anderson. It MIGHT be the same guy, but the signature doesn't look like it to me. Brian Anderson is also a pitcher. But that's as far as I got.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Figtree3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hah...I thought it was 1st base..BUT THAT'S A PIECE Of TAPE !!!

The way he's standing ...ist or 2nd base , i'd think...
    & that could be spring training..

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Looks like there is a fowl line in the picture? Based on the configuration of the infield I'd think first base. Maybe a Spring Training game which would make determining the player much more challenging due to large amount of non-roster invitees that get play in limited action each year.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Nothing on the back? What's under the tape?

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The signature looks like R Wood, but I couldn't find a link of that name to the team. There is this Robert Wood who was a pitcher, but I found a photo of that player and it doesn't look like him.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  11. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

I think the building in the background is Viera High School. It opened in 2006.
    upload_2021-3-22_6-32-45.jpeg

The Marlins trained at the Space Coast Stadium in Viera from 1994 to 2002.

The only Viera High School student I can find who went pro in baseball is David McKay but he hasn't played for the Marlins, and went pro in 2019.

I'm thinking this is a High School player in an old Marlins outfit. Maybe he was #15 on the high school team? (BTW - the Viera HS team is the Hawks)

12. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

INH, thanks for tagging us, and apologies for the delay in replying. Last night, we posted the pic and sig to Net54, internet home to the world's most knowledgeable collectors of baseball memorabilia. Over 120 views by the time we post this, and zero guesses as to who the fellow is -- make of that what you will.

Smallaxe and Komokwa researched the best baseball data sources available. Bdigger is also correct that it's not a pic from an MLB game. It could be from spring training for the Marlins, or one of their farm teams, but that's doubtful given the difficulty everyone's had in ID'ing the guy. More likely the picture was taken at a junior / community college, high school, or muny league game (or practise), and the guy is just wearing a personal favourite MLB-replica jersey and cap.

He is clearly positioned at 1st base, as determined by the foul line running lower left to right. It's hard to say if he's wearing a 1st-baseman's mitt, though. But it seems likely, since we can obviously see he's a left-hander. We think the dedication in the auto is to "Jim," followed by a colon, not "Jimi." His own sig, simple as it appears at first, is tricky. "R Weed"? "TE Wood"?

We'll post again if we get any feedback at all on Net54, but we doubt this guy ever played pro ball at any level.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  13. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Update (woulda been a lot sooner, but the Antiquers server was down almost all of last night): perhaps (perhaps) we were too cynical -- a couple of the knowledgeable fellows over at Net54 have come up with a possible (possible) identification. Check out these links (suspect's playing record, followed by potential contact info, if you're all that interested in following up on it for confirmation):
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=word--001rob
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/robertword
    Also, a pic of the alleged candidate for facial comparison:
    whodatmarlin15b.jpg

14. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

That looks like a match.

antiquelover69 and i need help like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Please Thank the Gang at Net54!
    Outstanding work! :)

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think that's it! I hope that @antiquelover69 comes back to this thread soon!

i need help likes this.
  17. antiquelover69

Wow! just checking back and saw this post.Thanks so much to all of you! tell the wonderful people at net54 my thanks so much!!!!!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted