Please help ID Cups marked "SILVER"

Discussion in 'Silver' started by LoveTheHunt!, Jul 31, 2020.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Greetings! I finally have been able to attend a few estate sales, and found some interesting goodies...
    This is a nice pair of tumblers, 3-5/8" tall, 2-1/2" diameter at rim. They have obviously been machine turned. The outside has a matte finish with honeycomb pattern cut into it.
    The only other markings are on the bottom of each cup: "SILVER", and an inscription, "From Bhavana and Janak Shah".
    I have only cleaned one of the cups, so far. They had such pretty toning, I would like to have kept them as they were, if the toning had been more even.
    These do test positive for high silver content with acid, but I don't know the exact fineness.
    I know that several countries did and/or do sometimes mark items with a simple SILVER stamp - China, old Mexico, old Native American, and others, I'm sure.
    I just wonder whether anyone can tell me anything at all about these, based on their design or decoration? Any and all comments are appreciated! Silver-2-Tumblers-Honeycomb-pair.jpg Silver-2-Tumblers-Honeycomb-mark.jpg Silver-2-Tumblers-Honeycomb-inscr.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. i need help

Trying to find GSS to see if it is indeed Austrian, but I believe Australia does use St. Silver.

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  4. LoveTheHunt!

YES! There is a bit of a mark ahead of the "SILVER" on both cups. I was not sure whether that was additional letter(s) or just part of a worn "frame" around the stamp...
    That goblet you linked to does appear to have the exact same style of decoration. You're the best!

judy likes this.
  5. i need help

I’m rethinking this. Australia commonly uses Stg. Silver. So need more investigation.

6. LoveTheHunt!

Yes, I saw that on 925-1000.com, but they also mention they use "any combination of abbreviations", so "ST. Silver" still seems reasonable... Beyond that, the exactness of the decoration on your example lends credence to that being the same maker.

judy likes this.
  7. i need help

India is also to be considered, especially due to the inscription. Maybe someone else will steer us toward the pattern.

8. LoveTheHunt!

That occurred to me, but I Googled the names, and they are very common here in Miami, where I found these cups, so most likely a gift from locals.
    On the other hand, I DID find an example of an "ST SILVER" mark attributed to a 20th century Australian silversmith HERE:
    https://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000282.html

9. i need help

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

11. DragonflyWink

Awww, that thread has my late Mom's Jamie Linton swan salt spoon...

~Cheryl

12. i need help

Oh, Cheryl
    I’m sure there’s reminders everywhere. I’m sure it’s a mixed blessing.

judy, LoveTheHunt! and DragonflyWink like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

Good memories, INH - and I'm still sorting through her stuff (so many swans), that spoon and all the other silver swans will stay in my collection, but most of the rest of the birds will have to go...

~Cheryl

judy, LoveTheHunt! and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

:) Yes, Good Memories! I’m sure!

judy, LoveTheHunt! and DragonflyWink like this.
  15. LoveTheHunt!

FANTASTIC! I see that many of those are called "pure silver" - does that equate to "fine silver"? If so, is that likely what mine are?

judy likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

'Pure Silver' is used like we'd use 'Solid Silver' for the various qualities of alloyed silver, wouldn't be 'Fine Silver' for your pieces - worked silver from India usually ranges from .800 to .990, and can be somewhat, ummm, inexact, so without accurate testing, hard to tell...

Here is a 'Pure Silver' glass in .800 fineness:

indiasilverglass-800.JPG

The 'Pure Silver' piece below is offered as,
    • "DESCRIPTION: Made using 99% pure silver with established quality standards.
    • MATERIAL: The glass is wholly made of Silver only. Silver Purity: 97%-99%",
    so supposedly somewhere between .970 and .990 fineness...

Also found a review on this seller stating that the BIS (Bureau of India Standards) mark was not present, "I have purchased this product because they had wriiteen, it is BIS hallmarked. But there is no BIS hallmarked on silver glass."

indiasilverglass-970-990.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  17. LoveTheHunt!

Thanx for the clarification. I tried to find some indication on those pages you linked, but all I saw was "pure silver" with no fineness mentioned. I did read elsewhere that India had no "standards" for silver, only mentioned what is "usual".

Draft saved Draft deleted