Please help ID/keywords for table, TIA!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Happy!, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

TABLE A500.JPG TABLE DETAIL CROPPED500.JPG TABLE DETAIL B500.JPG TABLE INSIDE500.JPG TABLE MARK500.JPG Trying to venture outside my safe zone to learn more. Took a chance on this table. It is about 2 feet in diameter before the huge, thick, nice glass top. Chunky center part reads, "A-L" and "10-1-59", so guess I know the era. The top of that chunky part has a mark area. Looks like a fleur di lis or an eagle, and some numbers or letter opposite it, trying to make them out, but see a 6 and a 1 or L, so far.

Please help ID this if you know, or even what the style would be. What metal is it (magnet does not stick)? One of the figures alone weighs 3 pounds and is about 8 1/5" tall.

Any keywords to sell would be great. I tried Roman, Italian, Greek, muses, etc. But I think they are not muses as there are 2 of a kind (2 girls on lute/2 guys on flute). Gut says just something from the early 60s and not worth much. Thought the couple was eros or venus, but they are just depicted kind of vaguely here. MCM, hollywood regency?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Must be Italian. I remember seeing very similar tables in Brooklyn during the 70s at my neighbors houses. I lived in a very Italian neighborhood.:rolleyes:
    greg

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late Bordello? :woot: Seriously ..... I think this is Italian and the '59 date seems right on. I think if you use Hollywood Regency as key words, you will get the right crowd. You might also throw in Italian Classical.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

bRAD - YOU MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Oops...oh well...

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

thCAHX9ZLG.jpg Hi,
    The Italian thing was never topped by the lamp/music box that had diagonial strings that had mineral oil dripping down while it played "raindrops are falling on your head".
    greg

6. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Ha Brad! I tried keywords: tacky, brothel, lobby of Italian restaurant, but it never came up in search...! One of the lute players came loose, so if anything, maybe we can take the others off too and use as bookends!

7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

This thing is driving me crazy, cannot find anything like this on the web [just too ugly?]. The mark on the center portion bugs me...wish I could at least ID the maker's mark...

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have to say, I've never seen anything remotely similar. I've seen plenty of the goddess mineral oil lamps, but not a table like this. You mentioned that each figure weighs 3 lbs? Are they metal? Plaster? The one that came off, was it screwed into the base? Also how big is the thick glass top, and curious how it attaches.

It would not go well in my house, but I'll bet it was pricey back in 1959.

It reminds me of something Liberace would have. This busy style isn't so in fashion at present, but if you are going to try to sell, keywords might be "OVER THE TOP Hollywood Regency". Also you are going to have to find exactly the right person-- what it has going for it is that it is so extreme, and there don't seem to be many others out there.

9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

MCM, White Gold Fantasy Table, Italian Sculpture, Roman Child Figurines Hollywood Regency

Draft saved Draft deleted