Please Help ID: Stoneware Confit Jar Crock Pot Matte Green Brown Glaze Faded Label

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lva483, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Good Afternoon,
    I'm looking for some help with this one. It stands just under 8" in height and is just over 8" in width at the widest part. Glaze has a semi matte finish in mottled green and terracotta. Bottom incised "4 gts" which I think means 4 quarts. Front has a faded label with ornamental looking leaves and there is some wax residue along the top. I get the impression this could be Spanish or Italian and maybe used for pickling?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_0692.jpg IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0698.jpg IMG_0703.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You might try looking at bean pots also.

Lva483 and blooey like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is the green actually glazed on. Is the green flaking off?
    Looks to me that someone painted a brown pot green.

Agree with bean pot missing lid.

Lva483 likes this.
  4. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Yeah, both colors were glazed at the same time. The photos don't really do it justice, the green in person is more blue and the glaze is like a satin semi-matte finish with almost a pearlescent sheen to it. I grabbed it because I thought the glaze was really something.

5. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Yeah, bean pot was something I was originally leaning towards but then the red wax residue along the top and the faded label threw me off. Thanks for your suggestion!

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Maybe send photos off to Crocker Farms for help?

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted