Please help identify mark and age.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JR1969, May 17, 2020.

1. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

I've found a few similar things but nothing reliable or identifying the maker. Any thoughts? IMG_6339.jpg IMG_6337.jpg IMG_6325.jpg IMG_6329.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

the round German mark is on the bottom of mine.

4. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

I also wonder if mine is possibly a fake. It's similar but slightly different.

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Good question and I'm not the one to ask....but it is a very nice looking piece!!!!

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

7. clutteredcloset49

I think yours has better detail, but the mark is sloppy. Yours is a hand painted anchor and stamped Germany.
    upload_2020-5-17_10-36-33.png upload_2020-5-17_10-38-1.png

This is stamped.
    upload_2020-5-17_10-37-12.png

You need to do some further research. I'm guessing yours is the original the other is the copy.

DizzyDaff, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The one pictured looks pretty recent ... but am I the only one wondering which breed of dog is hiding under the poodle wig? Poodles were originally bred as working/hunting dogs, but that doesn't look like any poodle I ever saw.(LOL)

judy likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

I don't think it is a poodle.
    Dogs are one of the most over bred/changed species. Dogs today don't look like their counter parts of the 1700s/1800s.

judy likes this.
  10. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

Could be a standard poodle

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A friend has Standards; that dog is built all wrong, and you can see pointy ears poking out from in front of the poodle "do". He looks like he's wearing a peruque!

judy likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

DizzyDaff, kentworld and judy like this.
  13. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

Most of the anchor marks I'm seeing are just slightly different and never attributed to a specific maker. I found one figure with same marks sold on etsy but they didn't know who it was made by either.

judy likes this.
  14. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

The mark is Edme Samson and is shown in the antiques4marks data base. It is described as "Imitation of old Sceaux or Chelsea Derby mark" and is said to be Paris, France 1885-1920s. A screen shot shown here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/a3MDoQ4

There is a gold anchor like OPs, shown in the bottom row on the right. But note there is also a gold anchor described as a decorators mark from Dresden or Berlin Germany, shown top row second from right.

DizzyDaff and judy like this.
  15. sunday silence

There are two like OPs with the anchor mark shown on worth pt:

this sold $115 april 2020, described as Edme Samson German he has nothing in his mouth and is sitting. He is very small. The gold anchor on the front side:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-german-edme-samson-porcelain-2073974857

this one sold $44 in 2011. he has flower basket in mouth and apparently the anchor on the bottom side. Described as Edme Samson. It is more similar to OPs the base is almost the same, and is 4" across:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/edme-samson-porcelain-figure-poodle-168628609

DizzyDaff likes this.
  16. sunday silence

To me its obvious that the dog is based on the famous Staffordshire dogs from England who have people faces. They are modeled on Spaniels but with eyebrows. They sometimes dressed them as poodles with a fleece thrown on them. That to me is what is going on, Edme Samson is obviously copying famous Staffordshire dog/poodles.

It also seems obvious to be a copy of the old CHelsea anchor. So that much makes sense

The German connection is really odd. Since Edme Samson copied German designs as well maybe someone in the shop had a little too much time on his hands?

DizzyDaff likes this.
  17. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

How did Edme Samson suddenly become German?

18. sunday silence

DizzyDaff likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

20. sunday silence

Draft saved Draft deleted