Please help identify textile.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by JR1969, Feb 23, 2020.

1. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

Hello All, Any help in identifying the textile will be appreciated. Found at a thrift store. It is 6 narrow panels (about 17" wide) stitched together for a total width of 105" x 101" long. The border ends are stitched on. Thank you for your help! I have some guesses but know there are so many knowledgeable people here. IMG_4131.jpg IMG_4143.jpg IMG_4138 (1).jpg IMG_4135.jpg IMG_4139.jpg

Sandra and judy like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is Mexican? I know the Native American textiles do not have fringe.

Figtree3, Sandra and JR1969 like this.
  3. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

I was thinking southern american country for sure but was hoping for specific country or region. I'm not sure it's real old but definitely hand loomed.

Darkwing Manor, Figtree3 and Sandra like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Please post some close-ups of the front and back of a corner, the border along the short ends, and of the junctions between pieces. We need to be able to see what the individual threads are doing. Are the seams between sections covered by the decorative stripes, or are the patterned stripes woven as part of the edges of each section, and then decorative stitching used to join and hide the seams? Understanding how a textile is constructed can be very helpful in determining its origin.
    Can you tell what the fiber is? Cotton, wool, or something else?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

6. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

Thank you for your help.

Darkwing Manor and 2manybooks like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Darkwing Manor and i need help like this.
  8. JRSB

JRSB New Member

It is indeed a bedspread from Zacualpa in the Guatemalan highlands, as @2manybooks said. The panels are woven on backstrap looms, and then embroidered together.

reader, Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted