Please help identify this antique sword

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Adam Spaulding, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Adam Spaulding

Adam Spaulding New Member

There is no marks on it that I can see. I did a Google photo search and it pulled up maybe a Walloon sword or Rapier. Any information you could give me about age or where it came from would be much appreciated. 20220812_121656_compress76.jpg 20220812_121659_compress58.jpg It is 42" long and very sharp with no loose pieces.

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice sword...I'll venture Italian ....early 1800;s ,and wait to be proven wrong..!

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  3. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

It is a type of sword, commonly known as a 'Walloon sword', these begin to appear from about 1650, and were in use in one form or another until ca. 1750, and were popular right across Europe. The one posted here is a copy of an early one.
    I say copy, as I am 99.9% certain that this is a 19th century copy, but admittedly, a nice one. The pommel ( the round counter balance at the end of the hilt) is rather large and plain. The grip is just too neat and pretty, and it is very rare not to have the 'Turks head' knot at each end of the grip. This one has plain iron ferrules on the grip instead.
    I think that this one is probably 1850-1880. There was' as you probably know, a big revival of all things medieval during the early Victorian era, and many fine copies of arms and armour were produced at this time, and I think this is one of these pieces.
    But a nice , and desirable sword IMHO!

komokwa and all_fakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted