Please help identify this beautiful horse

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Phillip LaJoie, Apr 18, 2021.

1. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

From your media page, most people won't click on outside links they are unfamiliar with, so you really should post them directly to this thread.

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. From your media page, most people won't click on outside links they are unfamiliar with, so you really should post them directly to this thread.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Thanks a bunch. I think I've got it

Any Jewelry and wiscbirddog like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is really nice, Phillip. Not very old though. It was made in Rajasthan, India, in the second half of the 20th century, maybe 1970s. The metal looks like copper, with some brass details.

judy likes this.
  4. Thank you AJ. I'd like to continue in researching this. Are there distinguishing aspects that led you to the origin being from Rajasthan that I can use in my hunt as well as what features are indicating the time-frame you are suggesting?
    Thanks again
    Phillip

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, and I can see why you got it.

I have a wooden elephant with similar metal over it like your horse. Even it’s tail is metal, like yours. It was a gift from relatives who went on a “round the world cruise” over 25 years ago, and I believe they bought it in India. Yours has nicer workmanship and looks older than my elephant, but the style is very similar. My elephant wasn’t designed to look new, so craftsmen could have been making similar figures for decades before then.

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Just my having seen them in gift shops here in the 70s.;) Which doesn't mean it couldn't be 80s. I always liked this style.
    In general, Rajasthan is a crafts state, and they export the bulk of Indian crafts we find in the West, and the Rajasthani especially love their horses.

7. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

I was hoping that it was a very good Chinese Antique Tang reproduction.....but I did notice that the neck was not long or muscular enough for a Tang horse.........Thanks for the information

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

And it is metal, not ceramic.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted