Featured Please help identify this Mystery oil lamp...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Hugo Maas, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Hugo Maas

Hugo Maas Silver Surfbum

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum to post this thread, I'm a newbie. Just joined. Please alert me to any faux pas I may bumble on...
    Is it possible that someone has knowledge of this lamp I recently purchased from a pioneer family on Vancouver Island. Any guidance in style identification, date and place of production... And possibly a value? I've grown up surrounded by antiques, have always admired oil lamps, but have never come across anything like this...
    cheers Screenshot_20200131_121818_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20200131_121932.jpg Screenshot_20200131_121833_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20200131_121957.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice lamp !

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Hugo Maas

Hugo Maas Silver Surfbum

Thanks!

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hugo, I'm going to "tag" a member who knows much about oil lamps. Hopefully he can come by in response soon.

@Brazos Are you able to help with Hugo's oil lamp?

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

VERY nice .. LOVE the colour !! ... Joy. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. Hugo Maas

Hugo Maas Silver Surfbum

Thank you So Much! I hope one day I may be of help to other lost souls like myself. It's a thrilling journey...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I like it. Painted glass? Combination of transfer an hand painting? The two together might point later rather than earlier, but how much later and define Late. When did Vancouver get widespread electric service, for starters? Parts of the US didn't get it until the 1930s and oil lamps were still made right up until WWII if memory serves. Later for some special purpose items.

Hugo Maas and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

What we know for sure is that it is European. If we are to believe the burner it would be British, but the burner could have been changed. It could have been made from the 1890's to possibly the 1920's.

It would have had a nice shade, possibly matching. European lamps are a whole different subject of study and my ignorance of them is great. As to value; the shades are the most desired part of these lamps ( some are really neat ), so you really have a part of a complete lamp. Check auction site completed auctions.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Evelyb,
    Kerosine lamps are still being made for the Amish in Pennsylvania. I used to get the catalogue for items for the Amish , I forget the name but bought a lot of stuff from them many years ago. I wonder if they are still around?
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling us what you could, @Brazos

komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably. There are more Amish than ever so....? I grew up using kerosene lanterns during power outages; they were all railroad pieces my dad collected. Threw some oil and new wicks in them and off they went. The old dinosaur tech is hard to kill.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And we always have a couple on hand for the rare times when the power DOES go out!!!! I STILL LOVE the light and smell they throw!!!!:joyful::joyful::happy::happy::happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The REA didn't start until 1936, was reauthorized in 1944, and was still connecting farms here in the sixties. In an area I frequently go to there are many kerosene lamps made in the sixties and seventies for use at that time.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but I grew up on a farm in the 40s that had just been 'wired'. We had lots of lamps (in case the new magic didn't work) but none as beautiful as yours.
    We had push button switches and if I remember right, porcelain ones in the bathrooms (house had been plumbed about 15 years earlier) and outdoors.

We even had an intercom system! Piping with caps that you opened and spoke into. I think most of the piping went to the brick kitchen!

We were so up to date!:D

16. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

There are oil lamps made today, but not nearly as nice. Machine made and ugly as an out house rat. However, with the proper burner, they provide as much light.

17. Hugo Maas

Hugo Maas Silver Surfbum

Thanks a lot for a push in the right direction

Draft saved Draft deleted