Featured Please help identify this pair of Asian vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Landscapeguy, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Landscapeguy

Landscapeguy New Member

20200502_115530.jpg 20200502_115516.jpg 20200502_114157.jpg 20200502_114427.jpg 20200502_115542.jpg 8I bought this pair of vases about 50 years ago at an auction on a beautiful estate in Boston.
    Unfortunately they had been drilled for lamps.

The hand painted turtles are quite whimsical, but overall the pieces are beautiful, and so well done. They are about 16" tall.

Please help identify the country, markings and value. Thank you all in advance. This is such a wonderful site. John 20200502_115530.jpg 20200502_115516.jpg 20200502_115530.jpg 20200502_115516.jpg 20200502_114157.jpg

judy, lovewrens and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are beautiful, Landscapeguy. I notice a hole in the base, that means they were once lamp bases.
    I tweaked the mark, so someone with better searching skills can find it for you.

upload_2021-1-19_14-38-3.jpeg

judy and John Brassey like this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I think Japanese but can’t find the mark on Gotheborg.com which has a good number of Chinese and Japanese marks.

Lovely decoration

judy and Ken Yap like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are actually Chinese and very very lovely. I think you have something quite special here, could be the work of one of the important early republic artists and the fact they have been drilled for lamps is not really all that important, they could be lamped again.
    I would write to Peter Combs and ask his opinion if I were you. Very nice indeed.

Please come back and let us know what you discover!

J Dagger, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  5. Landscapeguy

Landscapeguy New Member

Thank you, John!

The fellow who owned the estate, from which I purchased these vases, had the most incredible collection I've ever seen. I bought everything I could afford, but could have spent a million dollars more had I had the money.

Happy New Year, John!

J Dagger and judy like this.
  6. Landscapeguy

Landscapeguy New Member

Thank you for your help, Blooey!

I'm glad to hear you like them as much as I. As an artist myself, these are two of my favorite pieces. At 80, however, it's time to lighten up.

I don't know who Peter Combs is, but I will do some research, and try to contact him.

Thanks again, Blooey!

John

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Landscapeguy

Landscapeguy New Member

Thank you, Any Jewelry!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club, John :oldman:

judy likes this.
  9. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

The way the turtles are portrayed and the shamisen suggest Japanese to me, and the mark sounds like a Japanese name. Obviously very special

judy, Any Jewelry and Jose Deleon like this.
  10. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Am thinking Japanese as well turtle like that playing music Painting is good.

judy and Ken Yap like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u know you guys are pulling on 2 year old threads.........right ?

J Dagger, Jose Deleon and Ken Yap like this.
  12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I wonder if Landscape guy ever contacted Mr. Combs. I’ve been meaning to send a photos of a few items his way. I think he charges $12 per evaluation/appraisal but it would be nice to have piece of mind on the things you have that you think could be special or valuable. Has anyone ever used his service?

good looking out komkwa, I never would have noticed the date.

komokwa and Jose Deleon like this.
  13. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

W no
    I use it time to time is neat he sends you a YouTube link of him self talking about your item 3to4 day wait. Better then before back then was emailed about the item. Is better now

komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know. I had heard he makes videos.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted