Please help identify this watch brand: " RAYNOX "

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bayan, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Bayan

Bayan Member

2. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Im kind of a watch freak, is it truly auto? Does it run? Pop/screw the back off if you can, it will say everything. Considering it has a speidel twist o flex band, and has a similar name as Rolex, I doubt if it is swiss made, let alone worth anything.

Joshua Brown, judy and Bayan like this.
  3. Bayan

Bayan Member

Thank you very much for your input Catlovr. Yes it does actually run nicely. I will try to pop the back and see

Joshua Brown, judy and Catlovr like this.
  4. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Seen tons of fake watches, some guy in turkey tried to sell me an "omeega". Lol back in my navy days. I was very young, but not dumb. That said, I'm sure someone else could chime in, raynox could be the real deal.

5. Bayan

Bayan Member

The interesting thing is that I researched the whole net and could not find anything like it

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  6. Bayan

Bayan Member

Coudn't pop up the back , very tight and I don't have the right tools for it. Will wait and see if anyone have ever heard of Raynox or seen anything like it.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  7. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Well it says swiss made on the dial, if it was real you would find it. That was my first giveaway. And the old twist o flex band. I hope you didn't spend much for it.

8. Bayan

Bayan Member

True, the band has USA on it and a number too. No didn't spend much, was part of a collection

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  9. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

If you find a piece of junk called Patek Phillipe, or Ulysse Nardin, let me know, I'll pay 10 cents on the dollar. :D kidding...........:cat:

10. Bayan

Bayan Member

11. Bayan

Bayan Member

A look inside Raynox watch, still searching who RAYNOX is! RaynoxBack1.jpg RaynoxBack2.jpg RaynoxBack3.jpg RaynoxBackCover.jpg

12. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Still has me stumped, auto mvt. Has jewels, dunno

Bayan likes this.
  13. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Bayan likes this.
  14. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

This is from a 1985 book on the watch industry...
    RaynoxWatch.jpg

Catlovr, komokwa, Bayan and 2 others like this.
  15. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

HERE is a link to Wiki information about the Era Watch Company. I also found a number of 1947 articles about a new balance wheel Era Watch was using in their watches.

16. Bayan

Bayan Member

Thank you so much morgen94, I really appreciate your input and effort. You are a LEGEND:)

yourturntoloveit and komokwa like this.
  17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

This probably dates from the 1970s and is typical of hundreds of watches with now unknown makers because they were simply routine ESA Swiss movements cased and retailed by whoever thought they had a good marketing plan. Usually the names just faded away from the market memory, or had such a small impact they went effectively un-noticed.
    Retailers have always been able to order watches with any name they wanted on the dial, if ordering enough to make it worthwhile for the maker. Back around 1800 you could order a watch with your own name on the dial instead of numbers, as in *JOHN*HUGHES.

This watch is another case of something made by some blokes in a shed somewhere. Like many things it is irrelevant if it was made by Poffle Ltd. or the Woffle Co. No one remembers or cares about Poffle or Woffle nowadays, all that matters is the quality and merit of the thing itself.
    The watch in question is typical of the period in style and mechanically of good but not outstanding quality, mid range in a spectrum of retail watch pricing. Due to over a hundred years of development in the wrist watch movement business, mid range is really pretty good, but also really undistinguished.

A couple of cautionary notes. Do not advise people to 'pop the back' of what is obviously a screwback case.
    Secondly because something does not have an immediate appearance on the internet does not make it a possible fake. I have not bothered to place on the net records of my bowel movements, 1967 to 1976, because no one cares and I never kept any records anyway. Other equally unimportant information goes un-published and un-recorded.

18. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Metamucil works for me.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  19. Bayan

Bayan Member

Thank you so much afantiques for your valuable and enlightening information.Excellent read, really enjoyed it and learnt from it, thanks so much:happy:

afantiques likes this.
  20. Bayan

Bayan Member

I have sent an emaill to Edox to seek more information about this brand Raynox. I will see if they respond . Will update with new information if I hear back from Edox

Draft saved Draft deleted