Please help Identify Victoria Antique Opalescent Oil Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mark Redmon, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mark Redmon

Mark Redmon New Member

I have a beautiful Victoria Antique Vaseline Opalescent oil lamp. I think it could be European but not sure. Seems to be quit rare

Any help would be awesome

Thank you
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,
    Beauty lamp! I thought Primrose for the pattern but I don't think so, I'll check my book at home.
    There are a couple of good lamp folks here, I think they will want to see a close-up of the burner and the collar, and if there is any info on the wick turner piece.
    Mary

Mark Redmon likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,
    I am sooooo happy you found my missing lamp. I will gladly send you my address and a finders fee. I was rearranging things last month and it skipped out the door which sadly my cat had left open. Again you have made me a very happy man.:D
    greg

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

"Primrose" as Mary suggested seems to be the closest pattern to this vaseline opalescent oil lamp. I just checked Thuro's 3 oil lamp books and the "Primrose" pattern in OL 1, p. 268, is the closest in pattern I could spot. The lamp in the book is not like this one, it is all glass and not vaseline glass. Like someone suggested we really need to a good picture of the collar to help determine age and possibly maker. Found other Primrose glass fonts online and many of them have a clinch-on collar. I suspect this one has a clinch collar also. Also the thumbwheel writing/design needs to me seen. This lamp appears to have a center draft burner. Right now I'd probably date this lamp 1880-1900, but without seeing the collar, etc... this is still a quess.

--- Susan

Mark Redmon likes this.
  5. Mark Redmon

Mark Redmon New Member

Thank you Mary! I will get pics as soon as I can.
    Mark

6. Mark Redmon

Mark Redmon New Member

LOL....well I am wanting to sell eventually but I would like to know more about .

7. Mark Redmon

Mark Redmon New Member

Thank you Susan! I will get more pics as soon as I can.

8. Mark Redmon

Mark Redmon New Member

Everyone

Here is pics of the burner at all views and the font removed from the base and the threading for that if it will help

Thank you all!

Attached Files:

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

A couple of points. 1) Victoria was the queen, Victorian was the time period. (I know, picky picky)

2) Opalescent colored glass (except for rare Flint) didn't exist before 1883, figured before 1887.

3) Blown, opalescent canary didn't exist before 1885.

4) someone somewhere can date when metal based lamps ceased to be produced.

5) someone somewhere can date when tubular wicks became available.

6) clinched collars weren't made before 1890 or so. (if this has a clinched collar)

I know, this is far more than a couple of points. I guess what I'm trying to say, this may be a marriage, or a fantasy piece.

Mark Redmon likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

At the moment, I haven't time to look at the details of the latest pics you upload; however, believe the burner as suggested is a foreign one. The design on the thumbnail looks like one of the designs used by the French maker "A & P Guaudard in Morbier (Jura, France)." On the following webpage scroll down to the "France" section (about 1/2 way down the page) and look at the 5th thumbwheel design down on the right:

http://lumiara.perso.neuf.fr/lumiara/en/manuen.htm

A & P Guaudard website today:
    http://www.gaudard.com/en/who-are-we.htm

--- Susan

Mark Redmon likes this.
  11. Mark Redmon

Mark Redmon New Member

Susan

Your a gift of knowledge :) Thank you so much for the information. This is the exact thumbnail that is on my lamp

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Shall we say a veritable...font...of knowledge?

:)

13. emre can esenalp

emre can esenalp New Member

Sorry for bothering, probably its a little bit late to say this but I'm new here :) kretzschmar222.jpg Taf10111.jpg . The burner is not related with the origin of the lamp. This is a German production oil lamp somewhere between 1900-1915. It looks similar to Kretchmar Lamps. I could not find the exact match of font and base from the catalog of 1907. But it looks like so. There is a small possibility that it could be an Opitz lamp. Both factories were in Germany, and they used bohemian fonts, harrach fonts and ungarn glass fonts. And these lamps were designed for vesta shades (alaaddin shades). so its very difficult to find a matching tulipe shade for the font.

kentworld and cxgirl like this.
  14. Jerry D Carr

Jerry D Carr Member

Kosmos burner originally German now French

Draft saved Draft deleted