Featured Please help identifying cobalt jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by seaweed treasures, Aug 10, 2019.

1. seaweed treasures

seaweed treasures Active Member

I found this at a thrift store today. It is very heavy. The blue is so dark it's almost black when not in the light. The etchings are painted gold. I researched and found some Bavarian pieces that are somewhat similar, but not quite. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this piece? Thanks in advance!
    jar1.jpeg jar2.jpeg jar4.jpeg jar3.jpeg

Figtree3, judy, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What size is it? The gold decoration reminds me a little of an Italian tourist piece that somebody gave me. Mine is a glass vase, no lid. And not cobalt.

Also, people here generally like to see the bottom and also to make sure whether there are any marks or signatures on pieces. Can you tell whether either of those are present or not?

I love the cobalt color.

Saw you mentioned this one in the Finds Thread so thought I'd bring your original post back to the top.

i need help likes this.
  3. seaweed treasures

seaweed treasures Active Member

It is 9 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide. There are not any marks on the bottom or anywhere else. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I had a couple of small decanters that had a similar gold needle etched design. I determined that they would be easier to sell at the consignment shop than on eBay. I don't remember for sure if there were any marks or stickers on either, but for some reason I think they were Bohemian & probably c.1990's maybe even early 2000's. They were part of the lady with a shopping problem estate & I believe I removed the stickers from Tuesday Morning before taking them to the shop.

Figtree3 and UncleChuckTX like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The Italian one that I have dates from around that time period, too. It was purchased in Italy by the person who gave it to me. I assume it was a tourist piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted