Please help if this an antique etching or a print

Discussion in 'Art' started by abuadam97, Dec 3, 2020.

1. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

IMG_2068.jpg IMG_3263.jpg IMG_2072.jpg IMG_3281.jpg Please help with artwork Giovanni Battista Piranesi (Italian, 1720-1778). I am not sure if it is a real etching by this artist or a reproduction in a much later date.
    I searched online and I can see several that sell for a good amount of money.
    This artwork is called: Veduta del Palazzo fabbricato sul Quirinale per le Segreterie de Brevi et della Sacra Consulta
    Approx. Dimensions:
    Etching/Engraving plate: 400 mm x 622 mm - (15 3/4" H x 24 1/2" W)
    Sheet : 508 mm x 724 mm (20" H x 28 1/2" W)
    The plate has a number 38 in the lower right corner. I seen few that didn't have that number like at the following URL: https://www.karlundfaber.de/en/prod...abbricato-sul-quirinale-per-le-segreterie-de/
    Under 10x loupe, it doesn't look like a modern reproduction as i don't see the dots. But, also don't see the groves on the edges (not sure what they are called) of a pressed etch.
    Greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

As you say yours has the number 38 on bottom right hand side, whereas Rinks Dorotheum example doesn’t.

i need help likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The grooves or indentations are called plate marks, FYI. :)

Debora and i need help like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is there a center fold? Can you tell if it's printed on laid paper?

The plates were printed in different editions over time, but I do not have specific information. This could be a re-strike from a later edition.

Figtree3 and aaroncab like this.
  6. abuadam97

abuadam97 New Member

After further research, I found online an ebook at https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=Al1NAQAAMAAJ&rdid=book-Al1NAQAAMAAJ&rdot=1
    *** The name of the book:
    Giovanni Battista Piranesi: A Critical Study, with a List of His Published Works and Detailed Catalogues of the Prisons and the Views of Rome
    Giovanni Battista Piranesi: A Critical Study, with a List of His Published Works and Detailed Catalogues of the Prisons and the Views of Rome

My etching is from the Views of Rome

On Page 25:
    THE PALAZZO DELLA CONSULTA . 38. F. 737 . 1729 ( 1749 ) Title : Veduta del Palazzo fabbricato sul Quirinale per le Segreterie de Brevi e della Sacra Consulta . ( 153 * 245. ] Signed , lower r . margin : Gio . Battista Piranesi Architetto dis . e incise . 1. Address : Bouchard e Gravier . DAVIES . II . Address and price : Autore , Palazzo Tomati . Paoli 27. B.M. B.M.L. B.M.L. , KING's . TUBBS . III . Added work in sky ( dark horizontals near upper border ) . B.M. IV . Price erased . SOANE . TUBBS . Ist Paris Ed . V. Number 38 lower r . margin . Intermed . Paris Ed . VI . Number 722 towards r . above . Ed . Firmin - Didot , Paris .
    (Now the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

It says Number 38 lower r. margin

So it looks like this print etching is from this book.

I added a comment that I opened the frame and that the paper is a bit thick but still can see the outine of the work from the back. It seems like woodblock, the ink will get in the paper and can be seen from the back of the print
    The lines are crisp and only black and white colors seen. No grey colors.
    I can feel with my finger the plate mark at the edges. Under the loupe, no dot matrix but clear line.

Houseful, moreotherstuff and Figtree3 like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It also associates the number with the 1st Paris edition.

It will be an etching, not a woodblock.

If it's laid paper, hold it to the light and you should see lines like these:
    [​IMG]

Houseful, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted