Featured Please HELP... Limoges france art nouveau plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bethani Rothrock, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Bethani Rothrock

Bethani Rothrock New Member

I have no idea what I have.. I'm trying to find the artist of this plate or any information that I can get I've already dug into research so far and found nothing. I can't even come close to dating it. I acquired this piece while helping a realtor move things out of an elderly woman's home and she didn't have any kids. This plate was wrapped in silk and then in towels and inside of a locked box in a trap door under her bed. She cherished it and I just want to know more about it. If It is worth anything I want to make a donation to the elderly home that she was at when she passed. ANY help is so appreciated thank you! 20220802_225824.jpg 20220802_221830.jpg 20220802_225937.jpg 20220802_225956.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I suspect from the sloppy edges on the reverse and the lack of any company names to go with "Limoges/France" that the design was painted by a talented hobbyist in the 20th century. A very cool look, but I doubt worth a lot.

And welcome Bethani!

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

This is a dead link, so here are screenshots. I had to enlarge the corners so we could read the writing in the corners.
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-01-05.png
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-01-29.png
    The original artist..? Henrietta Barclay Wright Paist. Keramic Studio Publishing Co. Copyright 1900. (So I'm guessing Henrietta created the image that the hobby painters copied. Or maybe there was a decal to apply and fill in the colors..?)
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-02-02.png

I also found some other dead links, but could read enough of the title and description to see that they are calling her Autumn Lady.
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-04-48.png

Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-06-48.png

Here is an auction with an interesting note that the original owner had taped to the back of a pretty badly painted plate. "See Flora's Feast A Book of Days" and she had written down the name of a museum which I can't decipher.
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-16-50.png
    Flora's Feast A Book of Days is by Walter Crane and maybe this lady is in that book.
    https://www.kodner.com/auctions/2019/11/20/latin-american-art-estate-jewelry-collectibles/215
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-00-49-50.png
    Screenshot_2022-08-03-01-04-34.png

I can find so many plates with this Autumn Lady, painted on porcelain blanks from a variety of makers. And a lot of sellers are comparing her to Mucha, @Roaring20s !

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  5. Bethani Rothrock

I'm blown away by your kindness to be so helpful! THANK YOU!! I am so greatful.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Winterthur Museum (Winterthur, Delaware).

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Question becomes: is yours by her, or a copy after?

10. Bethani Rothrock

Interesting lead! I just don't understand how the work on this could be this well done and then left without a signature.

bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The one in the rubylane link is signed on the bottom, and that bottom is a bit sloppy. The signature will be over glaze, which means it could easily wash off. (which might be true of all the decoration!)

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

13. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Wow, LauraGarnet02 found some great information! :cigar: We learn a lot of interesting stuff here!

14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I've found a lot of hand painted plates that I really had to search hard to find the signature. Sometimes they are hidden in branches/twigs, or in the edging. Once found, you can see it clearly and wonder why it was so hard in the first place.

bercrystal likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Pretty plate and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, @Bethani Rothrock ! Not sure you're ever going to know who made your plate, but I DO think there's a hidden signature within the dark area where I've circled in RED....however, it was nigh unto impossible to bring it out and make it legible, other than "something" is there, as you should barely see below your 'half' plate!! Best I could do!!

POT SIGNAT-1.jpg

POTNL SIGNATRE-1.jpg

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted