Please help me identify this ALBION metal bar!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Akos Santa, May 10, 2022.

1. Akos Santa

Akos Santa New Member

848CE24B-17B0-42E0-ABD1-DE8BC72E3AC2_1_201_a.jpeg
    I inherited this stamped metal bar which I assume to be a manufacturer’s bullion. It’s some kind of trademarked alloy that they (Albion?) sold to other manufacturers. I spent dozens of hours searching on the internet, but no luck. I did not find anything about this metal bar. I decided to post its photos here, hoping that someone will have the answer. The bar is 2155 grams and its dimensions are 250 x 63 x 20 millimeters. Thank you for reading it.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    LauraGarnet02 and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a promotional item. I'd suspect whoever made the Albion alloy was in Sheffield or Birmingham. 20s or 30s.

Akos Santa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Tillotson was a cutler, so not them, and not Stacey. Ward are a toolmaker. Spencer would make the most sense. It'd be worth contacting the Sheffield museum.

Figtree3, Akos Santa and Born2it like this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The bar is almost certainly Babbitt metal, a pourable (when molten) material used to line journal bearings, like connecting rod and main bearings in automobile and other internal combustion engines. Also used industrially in much larger journals, as in paper mills, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(alloy)

6. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

As already mentioned it is a bar of bearing metal. It's not bullion, that is the way the metal was sold. Just search for "babbitt bar" and you will see dozens of fancy bars all cast with the manufacturers name and graphics.

Draft saved Draft deleted