Please help me with this sword

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Joanne Mayfield, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Screenshot_20210826-171052_Gallery_compress88.jpg Screenshot_20210826-171101_Gallery_compress66.jpg Screenshot_20210826-181805_Gallery_compress91.jpg Screenshot_20210826-181756_Gallery_compress29.jpg I purchased this old rusty shamshir from an auction and I know nothing about it. It looks very old but I don't know. The crossgaurd is Farsi I think. It would help a lot if somebody could translate it for me. It looks similar to Assad Allah Isfahani signatue which was famous for shamshir in 17th 18th century. Thank you for you help

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't see your weapon well enuf to comment.......
    other than the blades a mess...and I don't read arabic............

upload_2021-8-26_23-39-26.jpeg

3. Where did you get that picture?

4. 20210826_225354_compress79.jpg 20210826_225343_compress95.jpg 20210826_225438_compress32.jpg 20210826_225447_compress4.jpg I hope these pictures are better.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2021
  5. The blade is definitely a mess. Anybody know how to get rust off of it?

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Use a good metal polish and elbow grease.

i need help likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

And a lot of both. Looks bad.Will hopefully work if mainly surface rust (but not so sure)

i need help likes this.
  8. Cleaned up a bit. Found maybe a few marks. And got a little more info. I just interested on where the blade is from.

"The guard is a traditional style, made from the 17th through early 19th centuries. The inscriptions are fairly generic, on one side reading "In the name of God, most compassionate and merciful" and on the other "Help from God and victory near". The workmanship points to quite late, I would say first half 19th cent. Earlier craftsmanship is more precise, the lettering more elegant.

The scabbard is of fairly rudimentary construction, probably done in one of the tribal areas. One suspension loop is missing. On Persian scabbards there was almost never a metal piece at the mouth of the scabbard, the leather just goes all the way to the end. The example highlighted in the other photo is of an Arab-style hilt and scabbard.

The blade is not Persian and not wootz. It looks like a recycled Western cavalry saber blade, probably Russian or British since those were the two powers which were active in the area during the 19th century and up until World War I. The slight curvature and single wide fuller on each side are dead giveaways. If you cleaned the rust from the ricasso, under the langets of the guard, I won't be surprised if you find the military markings that were on the blade when it was originally made"

Attached Files:

9. GX40

GX40 New Member

Hi, I will be no help whatsoever to you, however I have a japanese miltary sword so once did quite a bit of research about it.

I just wanted to say that with a "thing" like this on it, it is guaranteed to have been made for a very noble person or highly respected fighter. Most soldiers just received like plain swords you know? So this was made for someone really important. I think anyway.

Like I say, probably I am no use at all, so forgive me.

Good luck!

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Start a new thread and post photos of your Japanese sword.

11. GX40

GX40 New Member

thank you I will but it is not like this and I need to dig out the photos! I just wanted to say what I said really, that this sword in this thread looks like it belonged to someone really high up.

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

No, it is very plain and inexpensive, especially since it was apparently made from a recycled foreign military sword. Swords for higher-ups were usually finely-crafted, often with precious metals inlaid in the steel, or jewels in the handle.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted